Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using 39 spec plated bullet for 357 mag loading

Harley999

Roll crimp is to keep bullets in place when firing the revolver. If the crimp isn't applied the bullet can pull out and stop the action from turning. Reloading for practice or competition requires the same amount of steps. Why would you not want to crimp properly?

I use a Dillon Square Deal B,  for all my handgun loads.  the 38/357 is the same kit,  you just adjust your bullet seating depth, and crimp( I do crimp everything) It loads very accurate 38 and 357 Magnum rounds. I shoot IDPA, USPSA and 3 gun with that volume, there's no way I'd load on anything else.

You can't roll crimp unless there is a canalure in the bullet

If it's smooth sided taper crimp, not sure if that will hold at 357 velocity

2nd problem is most plated bullets are not designed for 357 velocities, unless they are a heavy plate type

As said above 38 and 357 bullets are the same diameter 

Thanks to all for the comments. I load on a Dillon 550B purchased from Mr. Enos and company, been loading 9mm and 45 acp mostly. In my research on this topic, I saw the comments on the Berry’s and Xtreme website. This prompted my question.

The good news is that I found three boxes of factory loaded 44 magnum and three 357 boxes in my gun safe I forgot. The really good news is that I found a Walther PPS in 9mm. Hopefully the Wife doesn’t see this tread because I am thinking about a S&W M&P9 Shield EZ M2.0.