Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 508T or wait for 509T

Luegrx

I'm building a carry optics gun out of a Glock 45 and want to use a Holosun optics sight. Go ahead and get the 508t or wait and pay $50 more for the 509t?

Or am I running down the wrong road and should get an SRO?

I don't think the 509 window is any bigger than the 508 so the difference doesn't really give you anything beneficial for carry optics.  Save your money if choosing between those two.  

Can't go wrong with the SRO though if it's in your budget.  

I've been looking at the 508T for the same role (on a multi-purpose G45).  I also don't think there's enough of a difference between that and the 509T but I like the smaller form factor of the 508T.  There is a tiny difference in window size (.66x.90 for the 509t and .63x.91 for the 508t) but as Michael303 said not really significant.  I've actually thought about buying a used 407 or 507 first to see if I like it before committing to the 508t, especially now with the price increase of the V2.

On 4/16/2020 at 1:37 PM, cjmill87 said:

I've been looking at the 508T for the same role (on a multi-purpose G45).  I also don't think there's enough of a difference between that and the 509T but I like the smaller form factor of the 508T.  There is a tiny difference in window size (.66x.90 for the 509t and .63x.91 for the 508t) but as Michael303 said not really significant.  I've actually thought about buying a used 407 or 507 first to see if I like it before committing to the 508t, especially now with the price increase of the V2.

Thanks for the clarification.  I assumed they were the same but I'd agree the size difference is negligible.  

The 509t uses a completely different mounting system, so make sure that would work for you first.

I’m a fan of the 507/508 circle dot reticle, and the 507 has been surprisingly reliable.  It would be great if they made one that was SRO size, but given the current choices the reticle is more important to me.

On 4/18/2020 at 5:37 AM, CharlieD said:

The 509t uses a completely different mounting system, so make sure that would work for you first.

I’m a fan of the 507/508 circle dot reticle, and the 507 has been surprisingly reliable.  It would be great if they made one that was SRO size, but given the current choices the reticle is more important to me.

Do you use the circle, dot, or both?  I agree they should make a larger competition oriented option to compete with the SRO.

4 hours ago, Michael303 said:

Do you use the circle, dot, or both?  I agree they should make a larger competition oriented option to compete with the SRO.

I use both.  The circle makes tracking in recoil very easy.  At 10 yards the circle only covers half the width of the A zone, so it’s pretty useable, and the dot is there for tighter shots.

I have a 508t in green.  Bought this for my carry-optics Sig, after really liking the HS510c on my rimfire pistol. Having both the circle and the dot on seems to help me acquire a sight picture much faster than just a dot. On closer targets, just getting the circle on there " somewhere" and going bang is very fast, and accurate enough. On harder targets, the dot lets me be more precise. I do like the huge window on the 510c, but that only works on the rimfire pistol, because it has a weaver rail that doesn't move with the bolt. 

I personally hate the 32 MOA ring. I find it distracting. You can pick up a 407C V2 which just has the 2MOA dot for around $230.00. 
They also make the 407 with just an 8 MOA circle ⭕️. Not sure if I would like that either. 

On 4/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, Michael303 said:

The circle makes it easier to pick up the dot if you're not used to using the sight.  If you see the bottom of the circle, tilt up the nose, etc.

On 5/2/2020 at 7:15 PM, BASE772 said:

I personally hate the 32 MOA ring. I find it distracting. You can pick up a 407C V2 which just has the 2MOA dot for around $230.00. 
They also make the 407 with just an 8 MOA circle ⭕️. Not sure if I would like that either. 

I 100% agree with all of this. I find the circle distracting. 

10 hours ago, AZ1911 said:

I 100% agree with all of this. I find the circle distracting. 

The nice thing about the 508 is that if you don't like the circle, you can just turn it off.  I tend to use the circle/dot for USPSA and just the dot for Steel Challenge.  Not exactly sure why, but I seem to like it like that.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:15 PM, BASE772 said:

This is the way I went, 407 is the same dot only cheaper because it has less options I don't want anyway lol. 

• 1 year later...

The Holosun 509T has a slightl glass magnification at 1X. Some people may like it and some may not.

If you compare 509T vs 507C, the 509T is a bitch to mount if you don't want to spend more money modifying the slide or buy an adapter plate.

The 507C just goes straight in with the RMR footprint. In addition, the ACSS vulcan reticle is available for Holosun 507C to help recenter the reticle better if you're not used to acquire/ reacquiring the sight. 

acss vulcan snow.JPG

509T pov.JPG

Edited by atlantixyl