Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 upper vs legion upper

tk4

The only thing I am aware of is the optic they will accept without a plate (Romeo 1 for the original and Romeo 1 Pro or DPP for the Legion).  I have one of each and haven’t inspected them super close but that is the only thing I’ve appreciated.

11 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

They lock up slightly different. The older X5 slide has more pre tension. 

Would one allow a lighter recoil spring vs the other?  

10 hours ago, tk4 said:

Would one allow a lighter recoil spring vs the other?  

personally I had problems with lighter springs in the original x5. Others claimed not to.....

I have no issues running a 12lb spring in a legion. 

I have a older X5 slide I run on my legion frame in practice. It locks up tighter but I'm able to run the same 12 lbs recoil spring. But if it's dirty and you touch the slide at all on a slide lock reload it may not go into battery. That's only happened to me once so far. It works fine for my purpose, which is allowing me to put a high round count on one Dot, then change slides for a major match and use a top end and already zeroed dot with a much lower round count. 

I did need different mounting plates for each slide. 

I shot both yesterday using the Legion grip module..  The original has a Springer steel GR and 12 lb spring and I am using the 14lb factory spring on the Legion.  Admittedly, I am not super sensitive to recoil, but I couldn’t appreciate any real difference between the two.

I have owned both and actually played around and swapped them out and shot them in different configurations. Other than the pre tension or difference in lock up as mentioned above they worked and felt the same while shooting. The different optic cuts on every gun they release helps keep Springer Precision busy in the optic plate game but it gets annoying.