Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the best 3 gun scope to get currently and why?

gondo

I picked up the cmore C3 in the Memorial day sale and used it yesterday in a black rifle match on a new upper.

I had originally planned on using a Gen II-e 1-6 Razor on this rifle but after looking through the C3 and the Razor side by side I decided to use the C3. I'm not a glass snob/expert, but in 30 minutes of comparing my Razor with the C3 right as the sun was going down they both looked the same to me. So on Friday I pulled my razor and zeroed the C3 at 50 yards (ran out of time and couldn't confirm at 200 yards).

• The dot on the C3 is very crisp - no halo/bloom at all.  not as bright as the razor, but bright enough to see red in the AZ sun. I'd compare it to the Kahles that I looked through once.
  • The control is nice - the right amount of friction and off positions in between - just like Razor controls, without a lock.  As someone mentioned before I can't see any light on the 2 lowest levels.
  • The reticle is incredible - it was very each to get the holds exactly where they needed to be.  Tom Jarret got it right.  The (c) copyright engraving in the top right of the reticle seems much too lawyer involvement. but the ranging setup is nice and easy to use
  • The edge of the scope "disappears" as much or more than the razor.
  • 1x looks very red-dot-ish (although the closest targets in the match were about 40 yards so I left it on 6x the entire time)
  • Zoom friction is easy to move - don't have a switchview yet but wasn't a problem since this match is pretty much all long rang
  • Eyebox is great - it seems to be as good as the Gen II-E or Leupold VX-6
  • FOV - at 6x it seems better than the VX-6 I used before Covid. At 1x it's as good as a red dot
  • Turrets - they are locked - have to pull up hard to get them to move.  I prefer the Vortex caps for 3gun, but the turrets on the C3 aren't going to move on accident. Setting the zero was easy - just use a screwdriver to remove them and put them back on.  Elevation has a zero stop so you can't dial under. I would have liked 1/4 MOA clicks ... so vortex still has the best controls.

I placed higher than I ever have in this match with a brand new rifle and scope (only had about 60 rounds through it the day before the match all from bench). @SinistralRifleman beat me by less than .4% using the Vortex Gen III 1-10.  I have to attribute some improvement to the KE-Arms lower with its huge magwell which saved me time on a reload.

If Cmore continues to honor the discount code from @TonytheTiger, I can't imagine any need to spend the extra money for most 3 gun matches.  I still want a Gen III 1-10 for longer range, but if you are shooting inside 600 yards, this scope really deserves more attention than it gets when it can be had for just over $800.

I'd like to see SupersetCA Paul's thoughts on this scope compared to the top of the line scopes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I reached out to the folks at C-More and they mentioned there could be Black Friday sales and suggested I add my name to their mailing list in the event other specials pop-up between now and then.

There are a lot of guys at my local club who are running Swampfox LVPOs... I haven't had a chance to see them in person yet, but have heard good things about them.

I need a scope and I’m torn between the Razor Gen IIE and Kahles k16i. 

the razor 1-10 looks cool but don’t think they are really available right now and I won’t be shooting distances where it’s really beneficial. 

I like the simple reticle of the Razor Gen II so I’m leaning that way. 

The Kahles 1-6 was great, but the 1-8 is amazing.  It has brighter illumination and a larger center dot, and a slightly more defined reticle.  The reticle is the least cluttered of the 3 gun scopes with useable wind holds.  Best in class field of view and glass clarity.  It is pricey though.

After watching all the reviews and considering the benefits of FFP I'm leaning towards getting a Vortex gen III 1-10x24 to compare to my Swaro Z8i. The Vortex is slightly heavier, seems (marginally) optically inferior and has less FOV. On the other hand it has higher magnification range and FFP with the obvious advantage of being able to run zoom on the fly to what looks best for any given distance while the holds remain the same. When I compared the Vortex gen II and my Swaro, the edge of the Vortex is significantly thinner and sort of disappears on 1x, which should make up for the FOV difference some there  - if the gen III is the same in this regard. The Swaro is probably faster on higher magnification though.

All in all I'm suspecting the Vortex gen 3 will make for a more allround and versatile scope.

• 2 months later...

It took me a while to get hold of the Vortex 1-10x24 here in Europe, but now I have it (MRAD version). I took it to the range for the first time today and zeroed it. I also brought my Swaro Z8i with me, to make some side-by-side comparisons.

I zeroed it so I got 300 meters at the first hold, which put the first zero at 66 meters with the 55 grain ammo I'll be shooting for now. Some hold over until 40m, after that it's +/- 2 cm out to 200 meters (which I won't compensate for) and the beginning of the vertical line is 250 m. Second line should be 400 m if ballistics hold true, but I haven't verified that so far.

Some notes:

- 10x on the Vortex is a noticeably higher magnification than the 8x on the Swaro

- The Swaros slight advantage in FOV is, as I suspected, compensated somewhat by the much smaller "edge"  around the eye-piece at 1x on the Vortex.

- The Vortex FFP reticle is really good. A great and fast 1x reticle and a good long range reticle at 10x, all in one!

- The Swaro has a very slight edge in clarity, most noticeable at max mag - which is slightly unfair since the Vortex has a higher max. The difference is very small and the Vortex is really great even at 10x - just not as good as the Swaro.

- I found the eye-box of the Vortex to be easier to "get behind", though this might not be a fair comparison as I don't have the exact same height mounts. 

- The Vortex felt faster to me, but I didn't run any drills on the clock.

- To me, the Vortex is clearly the more versatile scope. I didn't really expect much of a difference between them, but I really like it a lot more than the Swaro.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 7:15 PM, minnesota1 said:

You should really look at the CMore 1-6.  Most have no clue they make a scope like that but it is so clear and I love the reticle and small illuminated dot.  Check it out.

I Surprised that only one person mentioned the Cmore. The scope and the reticle is awesome. The price is great and more important they have been making reflex scopes for decades

Maybe only 1 person mentioned the C3 early on, but I'll bet at least half a dozen have purchased one based on this thread. I know I did and suspect more did, based on requests for the discount code.

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 9:08 PM, TonytheTiger said:

One guy on SH got his, and his initial impression was pretty disappointing.

Yea I saw that , I was hoping they would be better so I could save some money versus going with vortex

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2020 at 7:09 AM, mrd said:

After watching all the reviews and considering the benefits of FFP I'm leaning towards getting a Vortex gen III 1-10x24 to compare to my Swaro Z8i. The Vortex is slightly heavier, seems (marginally) optically inferior and has less FOV. On the other hand it has higher magnification range and FFP with the obvious advantage of being able to run zoom on the fly to what looks best for any given distance while the holds remain the same. When I compared the Vortex gen II and my Swaro, the edge of the Vortex is significantly thinner and sort of disappears on 1x, which should make up for the FOV difference some there  - if the gen III is the same in this regard. The Swaro is probably faster on higher magnification though.

All in all I'm suspecting the Vortex gen 3 will make for a more allround and versatile scope.

Let me know what you think. I also have a Z8i and am interested in the Vortex 1-10. I do think glass quality and FOV being worse could possibly make it slower for 3 gun & action shooting stuff though.

We need a 1-8 or 1-10 FFP Swaro or Kahles scope. 

• 6 months later...
On 4/17/2020 at 11:24 PM, Frankly said:

$600 Vortex Viper II or Steiner 

$1200 Vortex 1-6 Razor or close competitor for less

$1800 Vortex 1-10 Razor 

$3000 Kahles 

Isn't it that simple? Decide how much money you can budget and get the best value at each price point. 

It looks as though the price for the Vortex 1-10 Razor has risen quite a bit in the last two years.  The only 1-10 on the Vortex website is the Razor HD Gen III at $3600.  Yikes.  The Razor Gen II-E is a 1-6 scope at $2,000.  

Meanwhile, I'm seeing the Kahles K18i 1-8 going for $2550.  Has Kahles prices come down in the last two years?

I'm leaning towards the Kahles.  Any thoughts or alternatives would be appreciated.