Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Ruger PC Carbine for PCC

Folks - just got one of the new Ruger PC carbines for PCC - a few initial impressions:

-Super front end heavy - will probably be much better after replacing the CF handguard

-Trigger is a gritty 4.5 stock - installed the MCARBO trigger kit which took it down to a still gritty 3lbs - very not impressed with their product.  Standard trigger job tuning brought it down to a crisp 2.5

-Trigger has significant overtravel - you can take that out with a hodgepodge spacer pretty easily

-Also installed MCARBO recoil buffer and spring - also very unimpresssive - I'm shooting 130 PF 147 loads and there's literally no difference in feel.  Save your money and just buy replacement recoil springs and cut coils to fit your load

-Very accurate, chrony is simliar to 16" AR barrels

-Very good value for PCC and I actually like the feel more several highly customized AR9 builds

-Send your questions - I'll post pics once I get it fully setup

All my idpa buddies that I watch shoot theirs at matches have been 100%. I believe most have done a trigger job (probably springs) to improve the trigger. For the price they are hard to beat, my first pcc a few years ago was psa and I had to have my gun smith open up the chamber a hair. After that it ran thousands of rounds flawlessly till I sold it for and MPX and a JP.

Hey folks - its 100% reliable with every ammo I could throw at it, to include slow 165 grain 9mm molys.

For the spacer, find anything that will fit in the hole which is very small - you'll see that its a very simple mechanical issue - there is a channel that the trigger return spring and insert go in - just take a little space out and youll be fine.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:18 PM, rpm8300 said:

Folks - just got one of the new Ruger PC carbines for PCC - a few initial impressions:

-Super front end heavy - will probably be much better after replacing the CF handguard

-Trigger is a gritty 4.5 stock - installed the MCARBO trigger kit which took it down to a still gritty 3lbs - very not impressed with their product.  Standard trigger job tuning brought it down to a crisp 2.5

-Trigger has significant overtravel - you can take that out with a hodgepodge spacer pretty easily

-Also installed MCARBO recoil buffer and spring - also very unimpresssive - I'm shooting 130 PF 147 loads and there's literally no difference in feel.  Save your money and just buy replacement recoil springs and cut coils to fit your load

-Very accurate, chrony is simliar to 16" AR barrels

-Very good value for PCC and I actually like the feel more several highly customized AR9 builds

-Send your questions - I'll post pics once I get it fully setup

did you consider the mcarbo or tandemkross trigger? I believe they both have a screw built in to adjust over travel? 

Also, i'm very new to all of this, what did you do with your "standard trigger job" to get it down to 2.5lb? 

thank you! 

Jordan

Hey Jordan, the physical trigger itself could be changed out because of its geometry - but the guts seem overpriced.  Standard trigger job means smoothing and polishing the sear/hammer contact.  This is NOT something I recommend to try if you don't have experience gunsmithing because it can create a dangerous situation.  To learn more about this concept, you can Youtube 1911 trigger jobs - there are tons of videos explaining this.

1 hour ago, rpm8300 said:

Hey Jordan, the physical trigger itself could be changed out because of its geometry - but the guts seem overpriced.  Standard trigger job means smoothing and polishing the sear/hammer contact.  This is NOT something I recommend to try if you don't have experience gunsmithing because it can create a dangerous situation.  To learn more about this concept, you can Youtube 1911 trigger jobs - there are tons of videos explaining this.

Cool i'll check that out. because mine is just a plinker right now i probably wont mess with the internals of the trigger to much. I did change the trigger shoe for the Mcarbo version though and i do like the flatter trigger face better. it did come with a screw that i had to adjust on the trigger shoe itself for over travel. mine now stops right after the trigger breaks. I wish there was a way to shorten the reset though. that's my biggest complaint with the factory trigger. 

Edited by jburks
9 hours ago, edyan said:

I have one of the early ones and the extractor will begin to fail a couple thousand rounds (stove pipes)I replaced it with the Mcarbo exact edge extractor and it solved the problem. 

i just recently swapped my extractor for the exact edge from Mcarbo. I was surprised at the difference between it and the factory piece. definitely looks to be a big improvement. 

I have one I’ve been happy with, the only issues I’ve had are when I used a an el cheapo Glock knock off mag in it. I have a Tandemcross trigger and Midwest hand guard on it and it runs. It’s kind of funny watching people with JP’s, etc. fight with their rifles at matches and my $440 PCC just works. 

Edited by sfotex
  • 4 months later...

I use mine in steel challenge and it is great.   super reliable.  It runs every ammo and I'm currently down around 70pf for steel.     Happy with the TG9 trigger after VQ got it right ( 3 tries ) and the best mod was cutting the barrel at 5 inches and shrouding out to 16 inches to take a ton of weight off.   

image.thumb.png.434e712686b86ba7c3993e00badd11f2.png

I use mine in steel challenge and it is great.   super reliable.  It runs every ammo and I'm currently down around 70pf for steel.     Happy with the TG9 trigger after VQ got it right ( 3 tries ) and the best mod was cutting the barrel at 5 inches and shrouding out to 16 inches to take a ton of weight off.   

http://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2020_09/image.thumb.png.434e712686b86ba7c3993e00badd11f2.png

Very interesting set up !!! What is your weight at now ???
Did Wiland USA cut your barrel? Looks like my 10/22 barrels [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17 hours ago, jrdoran said:

image.thumb.png.434e712686b86ba7c3993e00badd11f2.png

For the mentally challenged like myself...er how did you do the above? And second on asking what the weight is on that.

I'll weigh it and post a pic when I get home.     Keep in mind the VQ TG9 trigger is double the weight of the stock ruger trigger housing ( 3.6oz vs 7oz )  as it is made from Aluminum.  I also run a rather heavy c-more slide ride.   

-The barrel was shrounded by wilandusa and is very light given 5" of original barrel is all that remains.  The housing inside the receiver to mate the removable barrel is what I'd luv to get rid of as it is heavy.   

- The  chassis is from infinitech.   I had the ruger receiver and chassis  glass beaded to make it silver instead of black

- The buttstock is a hollow carbon fiber tube from amazon ( cheap ) that is epoxied into a cut off AR buffer tube that threads into the chassis.  The chassis accepts standard AR hardware .  Then I made a piece of aluminum and bent it to go against my shoulder ( nothing fancy ) ;   

- The grip is a 1oz standard ar grip from hogue

- The forearm ( palm swell ) is one from modshot so it matches my rimfire gun.  

- If I was doing it over, I'd probably use the tandemkross chassis as it is much cheaper ( wasn't available last year when I did this ) 

- Also there is no doubt a standard AR platform will be lighter if you go all out.   Here in CT only pre-ban AR receivers are permitted.   

I have been experimenting with lightening up the tungsten ( 9oz ) weight in the bolt.  I have even shot rounds with it completely removed although it plays a functional role in locating the recoil spring plate so it rattled a bit.   I plan to make one out of steel and then aluminum to progressively lower the weight.  It still feels chunky.   

Happy to share whatever might help.  

image.thumb.png.56061aee114c045234ec144f3ca2a1d6.png

Edited by jrdoran
On 4/15/2020 at 10:19 AM, jburks said:

did you consider the mcarbo or tandemkross trigger? I believe they both have a screw built in to adjust over travel? 

Also, i'm very new to all of this, what did you do with your "standard trigger job" to get it down to 2.5lb? 

thank you! 

Jordan

FWIW - Tandemkross was a waste of money - trigger angle was off and felt all wrong - it didn't really change the weight at all, and was very loose in the actual assembly.  Save your money - got for TG9.

4 hours ago, rpm8300 said:

FWIW - Tandemkross was a waste of money - trigger angle was off and felt all wrong - it didn't really change the weight at all, and was very loose in the actual assembly.  Save your money - got for TG9.

Whew, I was on the fence and ended up taking Trublo's advice and ordered the Volquartsen HP Action Kit for mine.  Not quite the TG9, but I like it.