Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder of choice?

Demus319

So what powder do you prefer? And why? 
I use TG for ICORE and HP38 or 231 for Steel Challenge. The TG in ICORE for me works great to make PF. I use less powder then if I was to use HP38. But I’m try 231 to see if I like a little soft shot. 
 I like the softer shooting HP38/231 for steel. But I can say that because of cost I starting to use TG more. 

I recently started using 4.3gr Accurate Arms #2 behind a 160gr Bayou

Name: Accurate Arms #2, 4.3gr 160gr Bayou 
Notes: S&W 627 5" barrel
Shots: 8
Average: 787 ft/s
SD: 8 ft/s
Min: 778 ft/s
Max: 801 ft/s
Spread: 23 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 126
Power Factor Low: 124
Power Factor High: 128
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 69 F
Weight: 160.0 gr.

I'm using 4.0 gr. of 231/HP38 in short colt brass with Bayou Bullets 160 gr. roundnose. Same load for everything. I don't know the PF or MV, but these will take down heavy steel plates just fine. One shot of this load compared to 9mm guys shooting several shots on the same plate to get it to move. Bullet weight is king on reactive targets.

In the 2017 USPSA equipment survey, titegroup was the most popular powder followed by N320, then clays. If you like titegroup there’s really no reason to change. 

I use N320 because it meters well and has worked great. I’m not into reloading so I don’t get off experimenting for experimenting sake so I’ve stuck to what works.

Not trying to be on a high horse but I find my time is better spent practicing than getting my Goldilocks load discovered. Of course YMMV and if you genuinely enjoy the reloading aspect of the hobby, go for it and experiment. Changing projectiles might be a worth while if you want to explore load development further if looking for a “softer” recoil or a different recoil “profile”.

You need to be more specific ,
Tightgroup is cheap, available and consistent.
It is also hot, and smokey with Moly coated and hardcast lubed.
If you arnt shooting hardcast or moly , and aint shooting 30 round stages where u need to reload 3-4 times,,, Shoot tightgroup,,, it works.
If I was shooting steel challenge, no reload game, mousefart load level, tight group would be on list,, but so would American select, E3,  244, Sport pistol, AA2,,,
Really ,. probably be more about what else I shoot that works so I can bulk buy,,

Clay Dot for me in Short Colts, Specials and 45acp, shooting coated bullets I can go thousands of rounds without cleaning or brushing they cylinder,  Used to be Clays but then the factory burned down and I found Clay Dot in stock, now they are both made in the same factory in Canada so I'm 99%sure the only difference is the brown flakes, new Clays and Clay dot are a bit slower than the old Clays from Australia 

I found a good load with N320 and have no reason to switch.

had a squad mate at the NW regional last year who uses N310 for 9mm.  Got me curious as I use it in my SVI but can’t be bothered plus got a nice stash of 320.

I like RamShot Competition powder for 38 Short Colt and 38 Special . Measures good , fairly clean with no unburnt kernels to get under extractor and as accurate as anything else I've tried . I just cannot get Clay Dot , Clay's, American Select or e3 to measure accurately day in and day out from my 550. I've tried aquarium pumps small powder bar , polishing internals and just cannot get large flake powders to measure accurately . I might be too OCD( from my Benchrest shooting background) but 0.01 grs. or greater of variance are just not acceptable to me .  

I find that TG and 231 meter better then HP38. With HP38 I had unburnt powder flakes after shooting. In my last competition I used TG and had no problems. I use BlueBullets and never had the barrel get to hot or any other problems. 
But of course I’m going to do more testing with 231. It shoots softer helps.

Ramshot Competition and Clays for 38 Short Colt, 147gr production, 180gr limited and 200gr 45acp for revo and pistol loads...oh and 12ga for clay games...then the list goes on 38spl, 44spl, 45colt...them two powders are fantastic. My buddy uses E3 and I'm liking the looks of that stuff too.

They're versatile, clean, don't need much per charge, soft report, low flash, not flippy like TG, priced well, reduces the different powders to stock, the list goes on as to why.

• 3 weeks later...

I use American Select in .38 Short Colt simply because it was recommended here and I happen to score a bunch from a friend who had moved on. Use Sport pistol in .40 which Allient says is the same formula as Am Sel but ball versus flake.

13 hours ago, 71Commander said:

Thanks.

Looking for a short colt and clays load. I have 24 lbs of the stuff when I was shooting a 45 ACP.

I mostly use Clay Dot now, but the same loads worked with Clays, if it is the older Australian Clays the velocities will be a bit higher with the newer Clays it's the same velocity as Clay Dot.  But at the low charge end used for SC it is advisable to get the Dillon Small Powder Charge Bar, the powder hole is squared vs triangular at the fixed end.

Also don't load 160 gr bullets below 1.170.  Watch for a bulge low in the case, not always there but I ran into some at 1.150 that bulged enough to not fit the cylinder.

Edited by pskys2

11 hours ago, 71Commander said:

Thanks.

Looking for a short colt and clays load. I have 24 lbs of the stuff when I was shooting a 45 ACP.

a lot depends on the bullet weight, type, OAL and gun you are using. I mention the gun because my wife's 627 is quite a bit slower than mine so when I load for her gun at 130pf I'm 140+

Using Clay dot (same as new Canadian Clays) I run in the low 3s with 147-160 grain coated bullets loaded to about 1.2 and mid 3s with coated 125s loaded to about 1.15

with the very small case capacity and fast powder start low and work up in your gun.