Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Change of Bullet Profile - Bayou 115gr?

RickT

I've been loading 115gr Bayou (and Acme) for several years.  My last order of Black Cherry was in December (8000 rounds).  Since then I've order Gold to differentiate my 1911 and PCC.  The Black Cherry bullets are 0.575" long, while the more recent Gold bullets are 0.547" long and the short bullets are obviously more blunt.  I'm going to call Bayou on Monday, but has anyone else noticed this?  FWIW I have about 400 bullets from a few years back in all four of the original colors and they are all 0.575" so it would appear the Bayou has changed molds.

My CMMG barrel has a very short throat so I've had to move the OAL down from 1.115" to 1.08".  Might have to go a bit shorter for my wife's PCC which has a Wiland barrel.

Spoke with Bayou today.  Yes, the 115gr bullet profile has changed.  Change was based on improved accuracy with the new profile.  They have been swamped, as have most reloading suppliers, with orders which I suspect is why the website doesn't note the change.  At least it wasn't a case of my Redding Competition Seating die going bonkers