Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sbr muzzle brake?

any small (short) but effective brakes out there (9mm pcc)?  1/2-36.   i have a 3" jp on there now but it sort of ruins the whole sbr 8" barrel concept.  thanks!

Edited by davsco
1 minute ago, lonestardiver said:

SilencerCo makes a single port muzzle brake that is also an ASR mount for their cans but not in that thread pitch.

https://silencerco.com/asr-single-port-muzzle-brake.html

There are some others as well but most are 5.56 or .30 cal with a couple .338 tossed in for luck. Again the thread pitch is your main challenge.

LOL 

Fast on the draw!

The first thing I would ask is why you want one.  If it is to make the report louder, or recoil a tad softer, go for it.  If it is to make the gun shoot flatter, there are better ways to do that.  I go for zero (or as close as possible) dot movement.

My barrel is 5.5" long with a steel shroud taking it to 16.1".  For some strange reason it is quite loud and no timer has a problem picking it up.  While I was waiting for the gun to arrive, I read up on everyone's preferred PCC load for SCSA.  There were the light bullet types, and those that preferred 124s.  I shoot 115s in 9mm major and have thousands of them.  So I started with them.  I tried 950, 1000 and 1050fps.  Yes, they were soft, but the dot rose and the second shot was slower.  I tried 105gr.  Softer and the dot still rose.  I tried 124s at a variety of speeds from 1000fps up to factory.  The dot still moved.  I tried short stroking.  No luck, plus it increased felt recoil.

I went back to full length and continued testing.  I ran out of testing ammo.  My buddies were not ready to leave, so I decided to shoot up some of the factory 147 JHP @ 985fps ammo I use for SCSA when I run out of reloads.  To my amazement, recoil, while harder, was straight back.  At 50 yards I could put one bullet on top of the other as fast as I could pull the trigger.  It just so happened that by buffer, bolt and spring assembly was 'tuned' for a 144PF load.  So I ordered other springs.  As soon as our ranges reopen I want to see if I can 'tune' the gun to shoot the 124 140PF loads I use for SCSA Open.  That would be great, because that would be one less 9mm load to make.  If not, I'll just use 147 factory.

17 hours ago, zzt said:

The first thing I would ask is why you want one.  If it is to make the report louder, or recoil a tad softer, go for it.  If it is to make the gun shoot flatter, there are better ways to do that.  I go for zero (or as close as possible) dot movement.

My barrel is 5.5" long with a steel shroud taking it to 16.1".  For some strange reason it is quite loud and no timer has a problem picking it up.  While I was waiting for the gun to arrive, I read up on everyone's preferred PCC load for SCSA.  There were the light bullet types, and those that preferred 124s.  I shoot 115s in 9mm major and have thousands of them.  So I started with them.  I tried 950, 1000 and 1050fps.  Yes, they were soft, but the dot rose and the second shot was slower.  I tried 105gr.  Softer and the dot still rose.  I tried 124s at a variety of speeds from 1000fps up to factory.  The dot still moved.  I tried short stroking.  No luck, plus it increased felt recoil.

I went back to full length and continued testing.  I ran out of testing ammo.  My buddies were not ready to leave, so I decided to shoot up some of the factory 147 JHP @ 985fps ammo I use for SCSA when I run out of reloads.  To my amazement, recoil, while harder, was straight back.  At 50 yards I could put one bullet on top of the other as fast as I could pull the trigger.  It just so happened that by buffer, bolt and spring assembly was 'tuned' for a 144PF load.  So I ordered other springs.  As soon as our ranges reopen I want to see if I can 'tune' the gun to shoot the 124 140PF loads I use for SCSA Open.  That would be great, because that would be one less 9mm load to make.  If not, I'll just use 147 factory.

That's what I go for in my straight blowback PCC's....I don't mind the kick as long as it's quick and the dot doesn't 'linger' as much.  Softer/heavier loads tend to make the buffer linger more, which in turn moves the gun around it if you will.  But if it cycles quickly back and then forward, there's less time for the dot to bounce up and back.

So I use a Blitzkrieg buffer and a wave spring in back.  That cushions the extreme ends of the buffer and bolt while still maintaining the speed of the cycle.  I don't really imagine any sort of  muzzle brake or comp doing much especially with a 14" barrel, except if the whole thing is really turned and it is the last, almost microscopic bit.  Shorter barrel maybe, but the powder's pretty much burnt up at 8-10".

20 hours ago, Norther said:

I see...I prefer your previous design. 

you mean you like the looks of the old one better.......but you have zero clue as to how much more effective the new design is.....nice

10 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Ha!!!.....thats on them.....we name it right.brake.thumb.jpg.2af39f56ed9788338d1cd421e290b5cf.jpg

Yeah, I'm just bummed that I can no longer buy from Shooters Connection. Kind of like how I can't buy from a company that sells 6.5 Creedmore ammo even when the box they have pictured clearly says Creedmoor.

On 4/12/2020 at 2:23 PM, lonestardiver said:

Go onto eBay and search for 1/2-36 9mm and a whole mess of options appear. How effective? Not sure. But you have options.

I'd be very careful about this.  Lots of airsoft stuff being passed off as the real thing. 

6 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I'd be very careful about this.  Lots of airsoft stuff being passed off as the real thing. 

Fortunately the airsoft muzzle brakes are some weird metric size like 14mm negative (Left hand thread), but I agree there are some really crappy fleabay brakes made out of chinesium that makes the airsoft stuff look hardcore!