Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Day to Day cleaning of press

I first read some of the stickies and then did do a search for cleaning in this forum, but after about 7 pages, my actual question wasnt really being answered, so hope its not a repeat.

I'm wondering how people do their day to day cleaning of their presses.  I have a 550b and have now been using it for a few thousand rounds.  I notice that random kernels of powder and a lot of dust from the primers collects very quickly.  I initially started using a little keyboard vacuum which sucks it up very well, but then thought it may not be the best thing to use, considering the dust may be finer than the filter can take out, therefore just putting it back in the air, and even if it is getting caught in the filter, so is the random powder, so its probably a bit flammable as well.  So looking for how others are doing it.

Do you just use a wet paper towel or something similar to soak up the powder or any better ideas?

Thanks for any input and hope its not too newbie of a question.

Paper towels, Q-Tips and a can of air for all the junk that collects around the primer mechanism.

About twice a year I disassemble everything down to the shaft. Wipe it all off and re-lube.

You'll need to clean the primer feed assembly more often, but that's just to wipe the dust and crud off. It will help with the feed.

To your original question, there is no day-day cleaning. Only day-day reloading.😀

But you be your own judge. If it looks dirty and you want to clean it, go for it.

Small paint brush and air. Also I found a little vacuum cleaner about as small as a hand help with various tips. The one I use has a little brush and works great no mess from blowing powder or wiping it off. Pretty cool little vacuum 

Wow, I wouldnt have thought that canned air would be a safe thing to do, just blowing the primer dust and bits of powder around the room.  A lot of primer dust accumulates below the priming station after only a couple hundred rounds.  But it certainly sounds easy enough so I'll give it a try.  Thanks.

Paper towels, Q-Tips and a can of air for all the junk that collects around the primer mechanism.
About twice a year I disassemble everything down to the shaft. Wipe it all off and re-lube.
You'll need to clean the primer feed assembly more often, but that's just to wipe the dust and crud off. It will help with the feed.

To your original question, there is no day-day cleaning. Only day-day reloading.[emoji3]
But you be your own judge. If it looks dirty and you want to clean it, go for it.

I think I need to take mine all the way down soon. Do you need a realignment tool or anything to do that? Or is it as easy as taking the parts off and then screwing them back on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I think I need to take mine all the way down soon. Do you need a realignment tool or anything to do that? Or is it as easy as taking the parts off and then screwing them back on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need an alignment tool. Available at Dillon. They sell a kit with everything you need, and comes with instructions. I’ve done my 550 twice now. Not too hard.

What I did on my 650 was to use a smoker grill cover to cover up my press. When I added a mr bulletfeeder the grill cover wouldn’t work so I had to get the big Dillon press cover. This along with canned air takes care of my daily cleaning. Easy, peasy 

• 2 months later...

Rather than canned air I use a Giotto air blaster, which does a good job at cleaning without dispersing stuff around. Use Q-tips and alcohol and some paper towels. The air blaster is the only cleaning I do regularly, the rest when I see the need for it.

18 hours ago, dspring said:

Rather than canned air I use a Giotto air blaster, which does a good job at cleaning without dispersing stuff around. Use Q-tips and alcohol and some paper towels. The air blaster is the only cleaning I do regularly, the rest when I see the need for it.

I also use Giotto air blaster to clean my SDB. The Giotto also serves another function. Now that I shoot CO, I take it to the range/match and use it to blow things off of my optic lens or emitter. Very handy!

I don't clean my press daily because I don't use it daily.  I'll use a air compressor, Q-tips and a rag when I clean it.  I probably clean it twice a year, at which time, I grease it up also.

That camera cleaner looks like a good idea. I usually will vacuum mine off to include vacuuming up the brass place holders when it gets dirty then have to dig the brass parts out of the vacuum as I always seem to forget. Will have to look at getting one of these!

The camera cleaner is the same as the Giotto I mentioned earlier. Also don't forget that the gun powder you pick up from the table can be reused as a fertilizer in your plants even if not clean enough to be used.