Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Construction of Safety Area - I have 8x8 timbers

redwoods

I recently aquired 8x8 or similar timbers from old guard rail posts. I have a bunch and we have no constructed designated safety areas at our range.

I have seen many good safety areas built from railroad timbers or similar.  Does anyone have a picture of what they consider a good safety area that is stable and how it was built?

thanks,

Randy

I am looking for pics of the 3 sided wood railroad timber built safety areas.  This way the round can only leave going up or straight back.

I also want an easy way to construct it.  Do they drill and nail the timbers together?  I have seen ones that use t posts to keep them from falling over, but I think that is not a good way to construct it.

Thanks for the side berm ideas. I have seen these, but you can sweep people walking by.

• 2 months later...

Overlap the timbers at the corners. For example, first row left timber butts into the full width back timber. The next left timber is full length and goes past the butt joint below it. Drill through each row of timbers into the timber below it and drive 5/8 rebar pins into the holes.  At the corners, use longer rebar pins that go through at least 3 timbers.  You will need a bit extension.

• 1 year later...

What I did at my matches was to tape a "safety area" sign to a target, on a target stand and staked the stand next to the table. The sign stated that this was the ONLY area where handling a firearm was allowed, and NO AMMO handling was allowed. That and a plastic table up against a berm works just fine.