Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting load data

AverageJoeShooting

My load was 9.8 of AA7 with Starline brass, 124gr MG JHP’s, and Fed SRP. 

This load was interchangeable with my buddy’s .38SC rig. In fact we sometimes shared ammo at matches.

My rig was a full length with no barrel holes. His was a full length rig with two holes in the barrel.

With my previous open gun pistol which was an STI built open gun with no popple holes I used 11.3gr of AA7 with 115 PD. Using small rifle primers loaded at 1.245 oal and i got 171 PF. I dont know what magnum primers will do. I have never used magnum primers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You're correct.

Back it off to 10 gr and work up, slowly, with chrono.    :) 

This ^^^^^^^.

I do not understand the need for rifle, or worse, magnum rifle primers for 9mm or 38SC major.  There is not a significant difference in primer brisance between SPPs.  If you are getting flattening with one, go to a harder cup.  CCI SPP have harder cups than most.  If you are getting flattening and pressure signs with those, you don't go to rifle primers to 'cure' the problem.  You adjust your load.  Geez, with the powders available today you can reach major PF in 9mm as a STARTING load.  With others you are within SAAMI +P pressures, or slightly above them.

The OP is using AA7.  That is not hard to light, and burns completely with a SPP. 

4 hours ago, zzt said:

This ^^^^^^^.

I do not understand the need for rifle, or worse, magnum rifle primers for 9mm or 38SC major.  There is not a significant difference in primer brisance between SPPs.  If you are getting flattening with one, go to a harder cup.  CCI SPP have harder cups than most.  If you are getting flattening and pressure signs with those, you don't go to rifle primers to 'cure' the problem.  You adjust your load.  Geez, with the powders available today you can reach major PF in 9mm as a STARTING load.  With others you are within SAAMI +P pressures, or slightly above them.

The OP is using AA7.  That is not hard to light, and burns completely with a SPP. 

Tbh I new to 38sc. People just said to use small rifle primers, so that's what I picked up. The magnum primers were an accident l, but I accidentally bought 9k magnum primers....so that's what I'm going to use. They wouldnt take them back so now I got a ton of them to use up

Im at 10.4 gr of aa7 oal of 1.225 124gr rmr for a 170 pf. Aa7 is a great powder very gassy, meters well and is consistent dirtier than 3n38 but never had it cause me a malfunction

11 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

no significant differance between regular small rifle and small rifle magnum primers? 

How could that be?

Be interested in seeing the results of YOUR testing.

Let us know how large the difference in velocity is between regular and magnum

primers - everything else being equal.

I bet it is an insignificant difference.   :)

If not, I'll offer a full apology.    :( 

After being told to use small rifle primers for 9mm major, I've gone and done some testing. My conclusion is  that here is _some_ merit to the theory, but not enough to care. Winchester primers showed the biggest change.

124gn Berrys RN, 7.0gn 3n37, stock CZ Czechmate, 10 shots, all chrono'd on the same day. PFs below

CCI Small Pistol

A:160 L:159 H:161

CCI Small RIfle

A:161 L:157 H:162

Fiocchi Small Rifle

A:158 L:154 H:160

Winchester Small Pistol

A:157 L:152 H:160

Winchester Small Rifle

A:161 L:160 H:166

6 hours ago, zdali said:

After being told to use small rifle primers for 9mm major, I've gone and done some testing. My conclusion is  that here is _some_ merit to the theory, but not enough to care. Winchester primers showed the biggest change.

124gn Berrys RN, 7.0gn 3n37, stock CZ Czechmate, 10 shots, all chrono'd on the same day. PFs below

CCI Small Pistol

A:160 L:159 H:161

CCI Small RIfle

A:161 L:157 H:162

Fiocchi Small Rifle

A:158 L:154 H:160

Winchester Small Pistol

A:157 L:152 H:160

Winchester Small Rifle

A:161 L:160 H:166

have you done small rifle vs small rifle magnum?

Hello: When I tested small pistol, small rifle, and small magnum pistol primers years ago. The magnum pistol primers where the hottest. They gave up to 35 feet per second more with the same powder drop than regular small pistol primers. As a side note cowboy shooters use magnum pistol primers with very low powder drops. Thanks, Eric

52 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Do you recall if it affected POI ? 

When I tried that inadvertently, there was no difference in POI.  I discovered it during a chrono session.  I was wondering why the latest batch of rounds were faster than they should have been.  It turns out CCI has accidentally put several sleeves of CCI 550 magnum primers in my case of CCI 500.  I didn't get quite the increase A reports.  My Limited load went from 172 PF to 175-6.