Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Front Take Down Pins on AR Receivers?

Frankly

Using a small pin or somethingaimilar to depress the detent and allow the pin to slide out is how I've always done it. Haven't come across anything glamorous and lose the detent about half the time because it really flies on out if not contained when pin is removed...but this works for me. Tiny blade of a precision slotted screwdriver works nicely, blade width needs to fit in channel in pin.

1 hour ago, wgj3 said:

Tiny blade of a precision slotted screwdriver works nicely, blade width needs to fit in channel in pin.

This.

If you don’t have a spare detent and spring, don’t remove the pin. Or at least do it somewhere smart... like inside a tiny bathroom with the drain in the sink stoppered so that it has nowhere to go. 😂

If you rip it out like a boss and lose it, just accept it:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, rishii said:

Put the lower and  pin punch in a clear ziplock bag and take apart in the bag, that way if the pin flys, it’ll be trapped in the bag

This is how I alway done it, easy breezy.

7 hours ago, rishii said:

Put the lower and  pin punch in a clear ziplock bag and take apart in the bag, that way if the pin flys, it’ll be trapped in the bag

Yup.. get a micro screw driver and depress the detent and remove the pin.

I use a clevis pin to install the take downs.

8 hours ago, rishii said:

5 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

This is how I alway done it, easy breezy.

I've always done it this way.