Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm looking to buy a new toy for the range.  Since I'm working EVERY weekend for the foreseeable future I most likely will NEVER use this gun for competition, so I'm not concerned whatsoever about which one is legal for which division class blah, blah, blah.  I am simply wanting a superb shooting pistol for plinking steel at my gun club.  I have narrowed it down to a few I'm very interested in, but I have never had the opportunity to shoot any of them. I did own an STI Staccato-P, and I really liked it...but when I found out they were releasing a 5" version I sold it to fund a precision rifle build. I had planned to replace it later on with the Staccato-P5, but that model went tits-up before it was ever released. 

So here are the pistols in which I'm interested. All would be 9mm caliber

CZ-75 TSO

STI Staccato XL

Walther PPQ Q5 SF Standard  (dont like the magwell on the Pro)

Arex Rex Alpha

Sig P210 Target

Or...

Wait for the Dan Wesson DWX to be released.

Just curious which one YOU would choose, or if there's a model you would avoid, and why (i.e. cost-vs-law of diminishing returns, factory support, aftermarket parts availability, etc, etc) .  Any input greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Edited by Kidfixer
Updated list

I've shot the TSO and the P320 and I own the Q5 SF pro.  Out of those, the TSO is by far the best shooter out of the box.  I'm hoping my Q5 with the soon to be installed Overwatch Precision trigger will come close but I've never felt like a striker fired gun can have a trigger like a hammer fired one.  I've not been impressed with the Sig, although I"m seeing a lot of them at matches - most are modifying them with trigger kits, springs, etc.  I think the DWX might be a game changer but with CZs habit of making promises for delivery, it could be a very long time before that is available.   I can't say that I've ever seen a Arex, and don't know anyone who owns one.  

If I might make a suggestion, there is a single action CZ shadow  2 available that should be a great shooter also.  I have a Shadow 2 with some upgrades and I'd bet this one would be awesoem.

Thanks

Phil 

3 hours ago, philmadxx said:

<snip>

If I might make a suggestion, there is a single action CZ shadow  2 available that should be a great shooter also.  I have a Shadow 2 with some upgrades and I'd bet this one would be awesoem.

Thanks

Phil 

Thanks, man..I will add the Shadow 2 to the list!!  Other than the barrel bushing, is there any difference between the Shadow 2 and the Accu Shadow??

Edited by Kidfixer

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

For a "toy", you cannot beat a .22     :) 

Heck, you can even shoot it in your basement.

That's a good suggestion...except I dont have a basement.  I have a 1976 Ruger Mark I .22 I received as a gift a few years ago that I've never fired.   I cant get into .22lr,  I just don't see the appeal.  For a "basement gun" I'd rather have an air pistol.   That way, after a day of putting tiny little holes in paper, I dont have a dirty gun to clean.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:00 AM, Kidfixer said:

Thanks, man..I will add the Shadow 2 to the list!!  Other than the barrel bushing, is there any difference between the Shadow 2 and the Accu Shadow??

They do a lot of the extra work you may consider to take a stock gun that extra 2% - an even sweeter shooter (brother has the Accu Shadow 2)  

I think it mostly boils down to which you like the best so if you can shoot them first, that would be great.  Even to pick them up - at a gun show maybe, when those start back up again.  I have average sized hands so I don't do well with big square grips like you see on some H&Ks, I have a FNX-45 tactical (terrible trigger) that I can't shoot worth a darn. If my hands were any bigger, my Q5 wouldn't work either - the magwell gets in the way.  

So try as many as you can.  There aren't any dogs in the group you've named, that's for sure.

Phil

12 hours ago, Zerofade said:

Pheonix Redback

That would be one expensive range toy. For $4K I could have the TSO, the P210 AND the Rex Alpha!!  I've already been down that pricey road with my Nighthawk, I wont do it again unless I'm having one custom built to my specs.  Unfortunately I'm too impatient for that.

Edited by Kidfixer
typo

You can find Shadow 2s for around $1099 recently. Change hammer spring (and maybe get extended firing pin reduced power firing pin spring).

Staccato XL is $3400 and not $2300 "better" than the Shadow 2.

Walther Q5 SF--you can get Walther reduced power (light) trigger springs (easy change) and get the trigger to a nice 4#. Walther is well-engineered and accurate.

I would get Shadow 2 or Walther Q5 SF,  but Shadow 2 won't cost as much as Walther.

Shadow 2 over TSO in 9mm. If you ever do shoot competition you can run the Shadow 2 in Production, Limited Minor, and with a new slide--CO. Shadow 2 costs less than TSO.

You could even consider a Sig Legion X5 for $899. Add Talon grips ($17) and you have an accurate, reliable pistol that is just about as heavy as the Walther Q5 SF.

Edited by Steppenwolf
Added X5 Legion to list

6 hours ago, Steppenwolf said:

<snip>

I would get Shadow 2 or Walther Q5 SF,  but Shadow 2 won't cost as much as Walther.

Shadow 2 over TSO in 9mm. If you ever do shoot competition you can run the Shadow 2 in Production, Limited Minor, and with a new slide--CO. Shadow 2 costs less than TSO.

</snip>

I've heard good things about the S2, but I'm not a big fan of SA/DA triggers.  Guess that's why I'm a (mostly) 1911 guy.  I rarely shoot the CZ's, Sigs or Berettas I have...even the Wilson Combat 92 model just sits in the safe.  In fact, I have a LOT of pistols collecting dust.  I may need to thin the herd at some point.

It looks like its going to either be the Q5 SF or the TSO...and I'm leaning towards the TSO since apparently it has a better out-of-the-box trigger.

Purchased the CZ TSO last night on GB.  Paid a little more than I had planned on, but since I only saw ONE other 9mm model available I didnt want to let it slip away.   I still came in under $1700 so I feel good about it.

Thanks to all for your input.  Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats on your new gun.

Don’t worry because the TSO is way better than the shadow 2. 

Have you shot the SA Shadow 2? I have one, as well as a TSO, and I prefer the SA Shadow 2. Not hating at all on the TSO, I love mine, but I prefer the Shadow.

Just put in a CGW flat faced trigger and reduced power trigger return spring. Trigger is now as light as my TSO.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

0fa426e40c157559a28c9639ceadeabd.jpg