Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grease lube for XL650

I am getting ready to lube my XL 650. I've already lubed the main shaft with 30W Pennzoil. Many places require grease lube. I have some shooters choice grease that I use to grease the rails on my 1911 and other metal guns. Will that be OK to use or is there a special type of grease?

Edited by GregInAtl

This thread has a good post by Shred Ive been using this method.

I have been using marine grease on the zirc fittings and was using the grease out of the dillon maintenance kit elsewhere. Ive since switched to lucasoil extreme duty on the press points that dont have fittings. I think you will be fine with your grease at those points too assuming its somewhat thick like a standard grease. Basically your looking for  lubricant that wont run out of the area or be replaced by dirt easily. The points on the press don't require a lot of grease at all, I apply with q-tip.

I have 1 650 with the zirc fitting and one older one without.
The older one was taken down and cleaned up, re-greased (wheel bearing grease) and re-assembled after I got the alignment tool from Dillon. I do have the retrofit kit to add the zirc fitting but won’t install it until the next time it needs to be serviced.