Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedback for DAA mr bullet feeder set up for 223! Looking to buy

Hey guys. Looking to get a 223 conversion for my mr bullet feeder. Loading by hand takes way to long but wanted some feedback first on how it works. 

well, how does it work? I didn’t know if people were having problems with the bullet seating and not toppling over when it gets rotated To the next station. 

I no longer load .223, but I can tell you that in every caliber I do load, the MBF funnel/expander does an excellent job.  Bullets always drop in vertically and stay that way when moved to the next station.  I have found that with lighter bullets, the last 1 or 2 in the tube do not drop in with as much force as usual.  Not a problem.

Edited by zzt

Most guys use an M die for neck expansion, then bullet toppling is not an issue usually. The dropper needs some work to feed 55 grainers reliably. I had to chamfer the ID of the dropper, there’s a ledge that the Bullets get stuck on. The spring in the micro switch needs adjusted, bullets also get stuck from the spring tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/7/2020 at 12:37 PM, cvincent said:

Most guys use an M die for neck expansion, then bullet toppling is not an issue usually. The dropper needs some work to feed 55 grainers reliably. I had to chamfer the ID of the dropper, there’s a ledge that the Bullets get stuck on. The spring in the micro switch needs adjusted, bullets also get stuck from the spring tension.

You’re expanding a rifle case?

sounds like a lot of work to get it up and running no?

I run the MBF mini and I don't expand, and haven't had any issues with 62gr FMJBT or 70gr Nosler RDF.  I imagine that expanding might help if you're running a flat base bullet, or you have particularly rough case necks or light bullets.  with chamfered cases and BT bullets I've had zero issues.  I don't run a lot of chamfer, just enough to deburr the inner neck.  YMMV.  

I have not tried running 55gr through mine yet, I prefer the 62gr and 68gr for most of my uses. 

You’re expanding a rifle case?

sounds like a lot of work to get it up and running no?

Yeah, gotta keep the bullet on the case when indexing.

I mean, it was more work than setting up 9mm, but less work than 300AAC.

Search in the reloading forums. Many topics on it.