Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Primers

Are you reloading this random 9mm brass after shooting it at Major PF speeds? If so, that is your problem. In 9 Major the first part of the brass that starts to fail are the primer pockets. The best advise for 9 Major shooters is to NOT reload brass that has already been shot at 9 Major velocities. Its a "Once and DONE" situation.

9 Major is "Cheap" until it isn't............. There is a reason why all of the top Open shooters are using 38 SC. This is one of them.

Edited by CHA-LEE

10 hours ago, eldorado0456 said:

Atlas custom open gun 9mm major.

6.5 gr WAC
1.61 oal
Federal small rifle primers.

Same load I have ran for years in my other open gun no issues. Best guess is a bad batch of primers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If that's with a 124 gr bullet, it most likely doesn't make Major.

Mine takes 7.2 gr WAC with a MG 124 gr JHP at 1.6"

May not be enough pressure to seal the rifle primers?  

For me rifle primers are a solution to a non existent problem, if you are having excessive primer flow with pistol primers then you are running very high pressures, there are more than enough powders on the market now to be able to build a nice major load that will work just fine with regular pistol primers, there is no reason to run loads that need rifle primers. 

I"ve loaded over 300,000 rounds of 38sc with small rifle primers but not with any Federal and never had a problem until recently with a batch of  Winchester small rifle that ruined my breech face.It only took 20 rounds to make pitting around the firing pin hole. Luckily Clark was able to repair it for me. I would not discount bad primers. I am now trusting CCI small rifle primers. CHA-LEE has a lot of experience but why did the primers fracture. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found this on my Atlas Custom Open 9 this evening...about 5000 rounds through it - I've put 2500 rounds on it since I bought it -

Tula Small Pistol Mag primers

7.2 grs AutoComp

124 MG at 1.165

Federsal brass

173'ish Power Factor..

IMG_5170.jpg

Edited by falconpilot

23 hours ago, falconpilot said:

I never shoot 9 major twice..so I went back to my practice range and picked up some to look at primer and primer pockets - primers look great, but every single case has the black mark on rims..thoughts??

Brass.jpg

I wonder if that is due to the recoil & hammer springs being too light and its causing the barrel to unlock and extract the case while powder is still burning in the barrel. The black soot on the side of the case usually happens when the round is firing when its out of battery. Blow back PCC's are a very good example of this scenario. What is your Recoil and Hammer spring setup?

Edited by CHA-LEE

I went back to range and picked up several hundred rounds of brass...my range...All I’ve shoot in this gun is 7.2 WAC  and Tula Small mag primers..all my brass looks like the brass in this picture...I’m second owner..bought pistol from guy I know..he had it built, and put about 5000 round through it...I’ve fired about 2000.

The hammer spring is as it came from Atlas. First owner had played with spring some..I had just put new Wolf 8 lb spring..the spring that came out was stacking by about one coil..

What I can’t figure out is why every piece of brass has the black carbon marks in exact same place...where the crack is showing..all the marks are starting is same place under rim, moving around and up the rim..they all start right at extractor claw mark..

Edited by falconpilot

On 4/27/2020 at 2:44 AM, falconpilot said:

Found this on my Atlas Custom Open 9 this evening...about 5000 rounds through it - I've put 2500 rounds on it since I bought it -

Tula Small Pistol Mag primers

7.2 grs AutoComp

124 MG at 1.165

Federsal brass

173'ish Power Factor..

IMG_5170.jpg

what is the sign  on the slide under extractor? i hope it's only dirt .