Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race holster for pt grips

lroy

Currently use a kydex weber. Friend was talking about how smooth his alpha x race holster was and got me interested. 

Anyone have experience with their PT grips in an alpha x or similar? What about comparing the different brands?

I was having lots of problems with my double alph holster. It would not release smoothly. I tried changing the position etc, but I was still having issues. I recently changed to the Everglades race holster and it is much smoother and I like the holster adjustments better. Once you set it up it does not move. With my double alpha I would always have to keep tightening it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, domino329 said:

I was having lots of problems with my double alph holster. It would not release smoothly. I tried changing the position etc, but I was still having issues. I recently changed to the Everglades race holster and it is much smoother and I like the holster adjustments better. Once you set it up it does not move. With my double alpha I would always have to keep tightening it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're referring to the ball and joint system of the Alpha X?

I have both the DAA Racemaster and the Alpha-X.  The Gen 2 block for the PT grip still has problems.  So does the SVI Steel block recommended for the Cheely e2 grip.  There appears to be enough variation in the blocks, and possibly the grips, that some combinations work.  Unfortunately, mine did not.  I gave up and ordered an Everglades with the thigh pad.  It works with all my Open pistols, and it is smoother than the DAAs.  Another plus it I don't have to change blocks when changing pistols.

I have the alpha x for my cheely e2 grip and it is very smooth, I had the safariland 014 for my previous limited gun which I loved but the extra wide frame on the cheely prevented me from being able to use it as it wouldn't retain the gun or allow the lock to engage.  I'm interested in trying the safariland 015 when that releases later this month.  

This is hard to answer because like builders and magazine everyone has had different experiences. 

I have been running double alpha and never had an issue with the STI or PT block for any of my guns, smooth and reliable for me. 

I switched from a DAA to a CR speed WSM 2 years ago and it’s the best decision I’ve made in a while. Yes it’s not as sexy as the DAA holsters but the DAA holsters you have to pull the gun up perfectly vertical every time. So if you’re in a weird start position and you don’t pull the gun the gun straight up and out, it gets hung up. The CR speed doesn’t care if you’re at a funky angle or not. It’s way more forgiving. 

also if by some chance you forget to unlock your holster when the start signal goes off, you just pull hard and the CR speed unlocks and frees the gun up. The DAA doesn’t. 

Yes I have a PT grip. 

Edited by Atlasguy321

Currently running a safariland 014. Had a Guga Ribas universal, and “the One” ghost holster. The safariland has been a little more maintenance free than the guga and Ghost. Honestly, I’d probably just rather go with a kydex. If I have to get another holster it will be a kydex for sure. 

-Hunter

6 hours ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

I had to remove some material from my daa in order for it to release smooth. I just picked up the new Safariland and hoping that it will be better and not require mods. 

Where did you get it?  I can't find it online anywhere.   

• 4 weeks later...

I know it has been stated but a lot of people recommend the 1 holster they have/tried but I can't find anyone that tried the everglades and didn't prefer it to what they had previously. I know a couple have sold in classifieds so I guess someone didn't love them but I can't imagine going back. Its somehow solid and invisible on the draw at the same time.