Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My RL1100 just landed

7 hours ago, A_Cardboard_Box said:

What did you do to tune it up, and why did you remove the ratchet? Mine is coming next week and I'm eager to get it running.

3 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

This is not the first time I have read that one of the first things a person does to their new loader is remove the ratchet system...I too am anxious to understand why this is done... 

I am used to my 650... Smooth up, Smooth Down... I dont understand why Dillon thought they had to put an extra safety on high end press. I dont need extra safeguards and ratchets and extra tuning of those components. Ratchet serves no purpose to me. I pay attention to every round I load and dont just blindly pull the handle.  Press runs and feels so much smoother without it

as far as tuning of new RL1100.... Primer Slide would not run well. Even after some cleaning it felt sluggish. Needed some work to smooth the slide channel machining marks. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, SeattleDude said:

I am used to my 650... Smooth up, Smooth Down... I dont understand why Dillon thought they had to put an extra safety on high end press. I dont need extra safeguards and ratchets and extra tuning of those components. Ratchet serves no purpose to me. I pay attention to every round I load and dont just blindly pull the handle.  Press runs and feels so much smoother without it

as far as tuning of new RL1100.... Primer Slide would not run well. Even after some cleaning it felt sluggish. Needed some work to smooth the slide channel machining marks. 

Thanks for this info. How did you polish the primer slide channel? 

I’m very interested in the primer slide polish. Out of 200 or so rounds I’ve had three not get primed. 

I too removed the ratchet. It seems common to do so. It’s loud and can make it hard to clear the press if there is an issue with the toolhead partway down. 

I know the spring deal for primer station is an upgrade from the plastic piece but it’s a pain in the ass to get a case in and out. The spring arm hits the primer base. Not at all like on the 650 where’s it’s easy to get in and out. 

Well some bad news that is what it is due to Crona-19. I called Dillion to check on my order in part by a billing question.  I'm at least 10 weeks or more it looks like. One of the parts is unavailable and comes from CA. That supplier is in lock down. So Dillon will not be shipping any more out until they can get the supplies. Totally bummed and understanding at the same time.  I will say they were nice to talk to and the phone system is a long wait but they do update you while on hold.

Just thinking if I want to wait that long. Crazy mess this all is in the new normal.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:30 AM, Nc1911 said:

Could someone please answer the question,  on the new 1100 can you run a powder check die with the bullet feeder and use separate seat and crimp dies?

Looks like a Mark 7 is the machine to order.

Nc1911:

While seriously considering the Mark 7 due to these unfortunate delays at Dillon Precision, I too was wondering if the 10 stations of the Mark 7 would allow the powder check and bullet feeder in addition to the separate seat and crimp stations........which does not appear to be an option on the RL1100..........

Seems UR has explained this feature in a new video:

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Nc1911:

While seriously considering the Mark 7 due to these unfortunate delays at Dillon Precision, I too was wondering if the 10 stations of the Mark 7 would allow the powder check and bullet feeder in addition to the separate seat and crimp stations........which does not appear to be an option on the RL1100..........

Seems UR has explained this feature in a new video:

I'm seriously thinking the Mark 7 . 

For me it was a lot harder choice when they were closer in cost. They’ve really upped the price on the mark 7 and the cost to change calibers. Honestly though I’m not sure why I worry about that. I hardly ever changed over my old press. 

HOGRIDER,

A good friend of mine has just set up his Mark 7 and is very happy with it.

He is running his powder check, bullet feeder and separate seat and crimp dies. All of that while swaging  and still has one more station left over.

Yes the price is more, but that’s what money gets you!  Good video btw.

Edited by Nc1911

On 4/15/2020 at 3:10 PM, Ghost7tactical said:

The Mark 7 looks nice. I just wish it was not an extra grand over the Dillon plus the dies. The Mark7 is also on backorder. Not sure of the wait time.  

I just ordered a Mark 7 Evolution last week. The presses are made to order; current lead time for manufacturing + testing is ~1 week. My order was placed near the end of the day on April 13th and scheduled for shipment on April 22nd. Im told that is a conservative estimate, and in all likelihood it will be sent out even sooner.

Edited by kamber

1 hour ago, Ghost7tactical said:

Thats great news! Just wondering what made you choose the Mark7 over the Dillon 1050 or RL1100? That is if Dillon was a choice for you.

Ghost:

This thread may shed some light on kamber's decisions.............

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/271071-mark-7-evolution-general-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=3169964

👍

3 hours ago, Ghost7tactical said:

Thats great news! Just wondering what made you choose the Mark7 over the Dillon 1050 or RL1100? That is if Dillon was a choice for you.

The Dillon was naturally a top choice; they've been known to the world as the best presses money could buy for a long time now. I'm absolutely new to reloading, so I have no brand loyalties and simply was looking for the best machine for my money. My research lead me to believe that the Dillon falls short of that title now that Mark 7 is making presses of their own. If I could buy an RL1100 or RL1050 for around $1000, I probably would have went Dillon to save some money. However, as priced, for me it is no-contest and I chose to go with the Mark 7. I don't have my Evolution in hand yet, and I've never owned a Dillon RL1050/RL1100 myself, so it is important to emphasize that my choice was based solely off internet research and browsing the opinions of actual press owners. It is also worth noting that my needs and particular plans may differ from that of others, which would change the value proposition of either press drastically.

See my long post about halfway down the page in this thread for further details: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/271071-mark-7-evolution-general-discussion/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-3170395

Edited by kamber

Thanks Kamber and Hogider for the information.

I have to really do some thinking. This is all new to me and have been shooting USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Mulitigun for awhile now. Something keeps pushing me to keep looking at the Mark7. Maybe the 10 stations and the expandability. The main caliber I shoot is 9mm and maybe in the future will jump to reloading .223. Since I'm new to this I'll stick to learning 9mm. I shoot a lot ( before this mess) and also have my son that shoots along with some family members.  So to have a machine capable of reloading more than I may need will be a good thing. 

Again thanks for the input and thoughts. That extra grand is holding me back, if it was half of that I would jump all over the Mark 7. 

2 hours ago, Ghost7tactical said:

Thanks Kamber and Hogider for the information.

I have to really do some thinking. This is all new to me and have been shooting USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Mulitigun for awhile now. Something keeps pushing me to keep looking at the Mark7. Maybe the 10 stations and the expandability. The main caliber I shoot is 9mm and maybe in the future will jump to reloading .223. Since I'm new to this I'll stick to learning 9mm. I shoot a lot ( before this mess) and also have my son that shoots along with some family members.  So to have a machine capable of reloading more than I may need will be a good thing. 

Again thanks for the input and thoughts. That extra grand is holding me back, if it was half of that I would jump all over the Mark 7. 

The price is what put me on a 1100. Have a 1050 and wanted another press. For the setup I wanted in m7 3700 to load 40. All in with a bullet feeder and 1100 was $2300 from my dealer buddy. So 1400 was my decision. M7 evo was the price of a 1050 but they jacked the price up 1200 more and no dies. I remember you could’ve got am7 evo and mrbullet feeder for $2700 a couple years ago. I know supply and demand but that price jump is way to much. Good luck with your decision either way you’ll be good. 

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

The price is what put me on a 1100. Have a 1050 and wanted another press. For the setup I wanted in m7 3700 to load 40. All in with a bullet feeder and 1100 was $2300 from my dealer buddy. So 1400 was my decision. M7 evo was the price of a 1050 but they jacked the price up 1200 more and no dies. I remember you could’ve got am7 evo and mrbullet feeder for $2700 a couple years ago. I know supply and demand but that price jump is way to much. Good luck with your decision either way you’ll be good. 

Agree the price is nuts plus I have the Sales Tax to deal with since I'm in FL. that is another couple hundred.