Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP PCC Handguard Weight

For me it has more to do with balance than total weight. The factory jp handguard is heavy and makes the gun front heavy IMO. I put a CF handguard to lighten the front end of mine. I agree total mass would lessen felt recoil and therefore cause less dot bounce, but I sure wouldn't want it added to the front of the gun.

12 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I like JP but some of the new products are starting to look like "we need to release 2 new parts a month, and make a video claiming gamechanger status". Mostly expensive solutions looking for problems.

Not a game changer by anymeans, totally agree there. Lots less inexpensive ways to add weight just where you think it needs to be. Especially, if you have to go out and change a hand guard to use this new 'gizmo'

Edited by TRUBL

To each their own. My SBR is heavier than quite a few 16" skeleton / aluminum shroud builds. I also happen to have an aluminum barrel Ultralight setup but outside of SCSA it's not my jam.  I didn't end up running these weights on my SBR because the balance was just right without them.

Put a ACS, UBR or the Froelich (yeah, he's running these) "PRS PCC" stock on there and you may want to adjust the balance point or add weight to reduce recoil.The pendulum will rock one way then rock back another way. 

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

First they hype a new ultralight barrel along the lines of what everyone from Taccom to MBX was offering.

Then they try to con you into paying extra to put that weight right back on. 😂

These do not work with the Ultralight barrel, so no conspiracy there 😉. Just run what you prefer! 😀

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

To each their own. My SBR is heavier than quite a few 16" skeleton / aluminum shroud builds. I also happen to have an aluminum barrel Ultralight setup but outside of SCSA it's not my jam.  I didn't end up running these weights on my SBR because the balance was just right without them.

Put a ACS, UBR or the Froelich (yeah, he's running these) "PRS PCC" stock on there and you may want to adjust the balance point or add weight to reduce recoil.The pendulum will rock one way then rock back another way. 

These do not work with the Ultralight barrel, so no conspiracy there 😉. Just run what you prefer! 😀

Can't really understand the negativity on this topic. 

Like he just said some like them light and some like them heavy. Use what you prefer but don't knock the other guy because he wants something different. 

I was going to say something snarky like it sure would be cool if JP would just release something less-gimmicky, like maybe the slimmer m-lok rails they were talking about a year ago, but it looks like you can finally get them so good on them.😉

Edited by ck1
edited because their m-lok rails are an option now
19 minutes ago, ck1 said:

It sure would be cool if JP would just release something less-gimmicky, like maybe the slimmer m-lok rails they were talking about a year ago (see below at 2:09)..? Or update the grip/furniture options in their Riflebuilder? I mean I can't be the only one who wouldn't mind the option of maybe NOT having to order an $1800+ semi-custom rifle with a hand guard and furniture I'd probably end up swapping/changing from the jump, then costing me another few more hundo while leaving me with take-off parts that no one really wants... it's honestly kept me from ordering one. JMHO 😉

m-lok rails @ 2:09:

The M-lok HG just got released. A bit pricey for what it is but at least they exist. 

https://jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg_mlok.php

Edited by TonytheTiger
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually had a bit of insight into this as it was being conceived.  Started with one of their guys adding steel weight to his handguard.  I did the same and got a noticeable improvement in A's immediately.  Gun is slower to transition but Alpha count when up about 20-25% for me personally with about 2.5#'s added just forward of the receiver.  Also gives me the same feel as my 3 gun rifle.

If you are running the JP hand guard it allows quick repositioning of the weight bias of the rifle till you figure out what works best.  I like the idea in principle.  Not sure if I need to add weight to the GMR 15 with the 14.5 " pinned barrel I am currently running.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...