Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question About Converting 1911 Series 80 to Series 70

mpssrh

I am considering converting a Series 80 (1911, .45 ACP) to Series 70 configuration.

It is clear that it is necessary to:

a) remove the two firing pin block actuating levers from the frame, and 

b) replace them with an appropriately sized shim.

Question: Must I also remove the plunger and spring from the slide, or can I leave them in place?

(I have searched multiple internet sources in an effort to resolve this question, but thus far I have been unable to find a definitive answer to this question. Thanks for your input.)

1 minute ago, mpssrh said:

I am considering converting a Series 80 (1911, .45 ACP) to Series 70 configuration.

It is clear that it is necessary to:

a) remove the two firing pin block actuating levers from the frame, and 

b) replace them with an appropriately sized shim.

Question: Must I also remove the plunger and spring from the slide, or can I leave them in place?

(I have searched multiple internet sources in an effort to resolve this question, but thus far I have been unable to find a definitive answer to this question. Thanks for your input.)

The firing pin safety works by using the levers to push up on the plunger to free the firing pin. If you leave the plunger in, the firing pin will be "safe" 😉

To truly converted to a series 70 remove all the safety blocks and the plunger and spring, without the lower parts to press or lift the plunger the gun will not operate. Replace it with one of these from Brownells and you will have a series 70 and a much better trigger.

20200404_101707-1.jpg

Edited by usmc1974

45 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

The firing pin safety works by using the levers to push up on the plunger to free the firing pin. If you leave the plunger in, the firing pin will be "safe" 😉

This was by accident my phone posted it please delete. Sorry

Edited by usmc1974

Please accept my sincere thanks for your helpful replies.

I have benefitted from the information and instruction from other members on more occasions than I can count. I'm constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge and experience that is available just for the asking. It's a blessing to have this forum.

Stay safe...wash your hands and keep your hands away from your eyes, ears, and mouth. (One might not think that the ear canal can be a portal of entry for a pathogen such as this virus, but it can).

All best wishes.