Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shrouded Barrel Cleaning?

I have shot Taccom's 5.25" shrouded barrel over 7500 Everglades plated bullets thus far... there is ZERO build up inside the shroud... its as shiny now as when i received it... i run a patch down the shroud with Rem spray oil each time i shoot it... 

Wow, that is amazing.  I see lots of carbon black coating ( not thick ) ( not lead buildup ) but it is not shiny like new.  I only shoot fully jacketed and thick plated.  The carbon is not related to bullet coating.

What the major difference between carbon and lead fouling when cleaning....how easily to comes off/out?  Also wonder why prorted comps would have lead fouling with thinly-plated bullets, but not the barrel.  Is it the burning gas escaping from the crown melting through the plating upon exit?

Edited by MoRivera
2 hours ago, MoRivera said:

What the major difference between carbon and lead fouling when cleaning....how easily to comes off/out?  Also wonder why prorted comps would have lead fouling with thinly-plated bullets, but not the barrel.  Is it the burning gas escaping from the crown melting through the plating upon exit?

Carbon comes off easily.  Lead has to be scraped out.  The thin plating of some plated bullets gets scraped off when it passes a barrel port, and flame cut when it passes a comp port.

6 minutes ago, zzt said:

Carbon comes off easily.  Lead has to be scraped out.  The thin plating of some plated bullets gets scraped off when it passes a barrel port, and flame cut when it passes a comp port.

That's what I suspected if it wasn't actual shaving.  That's also why I figured I haven't really noticed any plating or lead fouling in my comp on my 14" barreled PCC.  The blast itself is so soft by the time the bullet leaves that I'm wondering since the gas is all burnt up it may not be burning/scorching it off like it would on a 4-5" barrel.

• 6 months later...

I can confirm that my .22 shrouded barrel has some lead buildup at the exit of the barrel into the shroud ( can see with flashlight ) .     I used an older 1/2" craftsman socket which fits nicely into the wiland barrel to make a cutter.   Took 60 seconds to make;   I'll use it by hand this evening and report back.    I do shoot bare lead CCI standard velocity in .22;  My 9mm which only shoots JHP and plated has no buildup that I can see ( carbin around inside yes ) but no buildup;  

image.thumb.png.e5a2f4005ed3664d13944641ded94b0a.png

On 4/4/2020 at 12:45 PM, TRUBL said:

Picture worth a 1000 words......18" long, serate the end. Works great on TACCOM and JP barrels. Just fits down the ID and cleans them right up.....keep after it with your regular cleaning and you will never have an issue. Cheap too!!.....get it from your local hardware store.

175225980_shroudcleaner.thumb.jpg.367874b9435cbb89128b2aa775ff3a93.jpg

I use a similar home made tool. I made a T handle on the end. Also I use Slip 2000 Carbon Killer. My final step is to swab it out with a patch wrapped around a 12 gauge mop tool. It only takes a few minutes and shroud is clean all the way done to the barrel. 

So, I'm not finished, but I can tell you the socket went in fine ( not too tight ) but clearly hit debris about 3" from the muzzle inside the shroud.  I am using a generous amount of CLP oil also;  After 10 min of turning / pulling out and cleaning  by  hand, I'm still 2" from the muzzle.  

It is working perfectly at removing crud ( lead , carbon ) from the .22 shroud.   Far more than I expected, but I do shoot non coated CCI SV.   

So I finished.   An amazing amount of lead buildup was in the barrel.  I ended up using a drill on the socket extension.  There was always a slurry of oil in the barrel.  In the end, I could see the bottom of the barrel where the shroud mates and it was clean.  At no time did the socket touch the crown.   It was a messy affair w/oil and black sheet spilling out of barrel and out of socket when I'd remove to check.  I wore gloves given all the lead.

I'm hoping that if I do this 1x/month it will be easier next time.  I wouldn't change a thing on the size dimensions of the 1/2" socket.   

Edited by jrdoran