Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Initial Gun Purchase on Draw

IVC

For quite some time I haven’t used any grip enhancer until a few days back I put some grip liquid on my hands only to realize that my initial purchase on the gun was a bit inconsistent.

When really working the clock, I would place my hand on the grip, slide it a bit down/forward into correct position, then initiate the draw with the correct grip. It’s minute movement of the hand against the grip, but sufficient to position the strong hand perfectly. However, with grip fluid, my hand would stick and not slide this small distance, so I would end up with slightly inconsistent grip. I played with working on accuracy of the initial grip, but then thought that it might be the wrong thing to do. Why try to perfect something that is likely to be worse than allowing the hand to wiggle a bit during the draw process?

The problem is that I’m not sure what the correct answer is. Is it good or bad to have a small amount of play during the initial purchase on the gun and allow the hand to slide into correct position, or should I strive to get the perfect grip on initial contact with the gun?

Edited by IVC

It sounds like your issue of not initially getting a good grip became more exacerbated once it was essentially locked into place with the grip enhancement. You had more room for forgiveness when you could slide your hand into the right position. 

I think just working from a timer, maybe set the clock to half a second initially and just work on hitting that grip every time.

In my opinion, if you are going to use chalk in match, then practice using it during dryfire. 

Edited by lroy

Kind of depends on your shooting style, but most people would say to get youe grip right the first time.  FWIW, Jerry Miculek would use smooth revo grips so he could shift his grip around.  Other people like sharp grips to lock everything in place.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:31 AM, lroy said:

It sounds like your issue of not initially getting a good grip became more exacerbated once it was essentially locked into place with the grip enhancement. You had more room for forgiveness when you could slide your hand into the right position. 

That's where I'm not sure - it's not that I am not getting a good grip, it's that the technique for getting the good grip involves slight movement of hand against the gun. When I initiate the draw, my hand will always be in the correct and final position as the gun starts moving out of the holster (on a normal, good draw). 

Essentially, the grip liquid slightly interferes with the technique, which makes me wonder whether I should push through the resistance or modify the technique...

Just because others use the grip enhancer doesn’t mean you have to. 

I’ve taken classes from some really big names and not all of them recommend using a grip enhancer. 

If it hurts your performance don’t use it, but if you really want to then dry fire practice till the new technique is burned in. 

Edited by HesedTech

• 1 month later...

I would just apply the pro grip to the weak hand and the oppposite side of palm on strong hand where the two meet. I don't need that much when I use it. Once applied to both palms and fingers it's hard to correct a slightly incorrect grip after the beep.