Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hoarders

konkapot

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are in stock in my basement.  I don't get caught in panic buying or shortages.  Learned my lessons as a newer reloader during the Sandy Hook time.  Never again not being able to reload with my powders and primers of choice.

I bet match and magnum primers are still around. Those two words seem to scare off the panic buyers. During the Obama years magnums were still around when everything dried up. They worked great and were easier to get. Also factory 40sw was the only ammo on the shelves haaha. 

Yup. Being snarky or blaming it on “hoarders” isn’t going to make them available quicker. If you shoot 4000/month surprised you don’t have a stash? Every time there is free hazmat or rebates buy a few. Keep at least a couple years worth on hand (if funds allow it, but I’m guessing they do if you’re shooting 4000/month). Then you have time to restock as they become available in “crazy” times. I know that advice doesn’t do you any good now, but I bet you won’t let it happen again...

4 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

I used magnum Federal SPP’s when they cheaper last year, no difference.

I also used them in my “match” loads last year to shoot majors. No difference in performance, the seem to chrono about +5 in PF.

I also used them in my “match” loads last year to shoot majors. No difference in performance, the seem to chrono about +5 in PF.
Yup, they worked great. One time a local shop had some and I asked for them. Then the manager asked what I was going to load. So I answered 40sw...he stared at me and then said, I'm not selling these to you, you're going to hurt yourself. You can't use a magnum primer in a 40....oh wells so far for that plan haaha

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Yeah, caught me at probably the worst time to get into reloading. Luckily I found 9k primers locally to get started and still have a decent stash of factory ammo I bought last year on rebate for cheap.

Not like I'm shooting much as the range was closed up until this week and all matches cancelled. I have a ton of 22s so maybe I'll just do steel challenge this year if needed.

Midsouth Shooters Supply is accepting back orders on Win Small Pistol primers...beats checking all the time and gets you a place in line...

Powder Valley just got in a bunch of powder...you never know when something might show up...

I've noticed new stock Federal SPP's up here in Canada are now running @ $59.99!!!!!!!!!  Normal range was $47.99-52.99

So so so glad I stocked up when a local store had a crazy sale and combined with the Federal$100 rebate was sweet.  Won't be seeing those days again.....for a long while. :(

And those who claimed it was cheaper to buy than reload 9mm, yea not anymore.

I've noticed new stock Federal SPP's up here in Canada are now running @ $59.99!!!!!!!!!  Normal range was $47.99-52.99

So so so glad I stocked up when a local store had a crazy sale and combined with the Federal$100 rebate was sweet.  Won't be seeing those days again.....for a long while. [emoji20]

And those who claimed it was cheaper to buy than reload 9mm, yea not anymore.

Fo sure! A month or two ago it was hard to argue for reloading 223/5.56 and 9MM if you were only looking to save money.

223/5.56 could be had all day for $0.29/round shipped. Now I’m seeing them for $0.50/round if they are in stock. Same goes for 9 prices [emoji3595]. Now my $0.17/round .223/5.56 seems like a SOLID savings! Even if I have to buy some brass I’m still only at $0.26/round!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Fo sure! A month or two ago it was hard to argue for reloading 223/5.56 and 9MM if you were only looking to save money.

223/5.56 could be had all day for $0.29/round shipped. Now I’m seeing them for $0.50/round if they are in stock. Same goes for 9 prices emoji3595.png. Now my $0.17/round .223/5.56 seems like a SOLID savings! Even if I have to buy some brass I’m still only at $0.26/round!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I had bought dies and caliber conversions for the Dillon for 223 - but then just never bothered with using them because it was so cheap and plentiful everywhere.  Dusted that stuff off and started loading this week. Glad I had it laying around.

15 hours ago, konkapot said:

Weeks? Months? How many?

There’s an election coming up, which always leads to hoarding now.

Obama’s election caused a 1.5+ year shortage of primers and powder from guys predicting a total ban, and causing a panic.

Then add the “disaster preparedness” factor we have going on right now?

It’s going to be a while, I fear.

Yeah. And that shortage was due to demand , but supply was running at at LEAST normal capacity. And probably higher to try and catch up on demand.

Now we are dealing with a demand issue again, but also a supply issue. Someone in another thread said the Fiocchi plant in Italy was shut down, and that they did alot of primer production , not just for themselves. Not sure who runs their own primer operations - but I would assume with the increased demand for ammo,that primers will go into their ammo production before it's made available for us as a component - I assume there is alot more margin in the completed round than there is in just the primer component.

Let's see. Clinton assault weapons ban, Obama's election, Sandy Hook and now corona virus. Some call it hoarding and some call it being prepared. 

I went through it with the Assault Weapons ban and decided I preferred to be prepared.