Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Rifle Trigger Recommendations

Broncos79

Do you have trigger preferences from other guns or simply want something better than MilSpec? 

Single or double stage, super light pull or moderate, flat or curved shoe? 

It is probably superstitious but I install KHS anti walk pins on all my cartridge triggers, add a few bucks there. 

I've been using Trigger Tech non-adjustable flat blade 3.5# triggers that have come down in price, they are advertised as being short two stage like a 1911, I like their quick reset. But I've had Velocity and Timeny triggers that were good. Last month I did a build with polished Nickel Boron MilSpec style parts and the $10 JP spring kit and was pleasantly surprised that a $50 traditional trigger felt pretty darn good ~ I wouldn't hesitate to start there especially on a tighter budget. 

I prefer single stage, very light and crisp - I am used to a K-80 shotgun trigger, Atlas custom 2011 trigger, and top of the line Trigger Tech in my bolt action - open to suggestions pros and cons on flat vs curved shoe 

1 hour ago, Broncos79 said:

All - seeking 3-Gun Rifle Trigger recommendations- Hyperfire, JP Roller, Geissele etc...

thank you 

+1 on that, for the price you can find them at they are pretty great.  I have 4 or 5 of these in the 2.5-3# range - flat or curved is up to you and your personal preference. 

I have 2 elftman guns, they are also great but definitely come at a heftier price, and not sure I can take advantage of some of their tech you're paying for.  One elftman 3-gun model required some tuning but it is great now and breaks like glass, no overtravel to speak of.  Twice the price of the CMC on the street, but had to scratch that itch and don't regret it. Also haven't done it again :)

Have one Timney Comp, that is maybe the closest to my bolt guns, but I had to swap firing pins to get reliable ignition, think it must've had pretty light hammer spring?  Don't know if I'd trust it as much as other triggers but I do love it for what it's on now (a coyote long range rig).

Most recent two triggers I bought because of a sale were Velocity with the interchangeable shoe, so far they are great, although a bit heavier in pull but I don't mind that on certain guns.  A crisp 3.5-4#'s. I'm only 1K rounds in no issues and no reason I wouldn't buy again at the pricepoint. 

All that said - I usually look for CMC first and unless I find something else for a better deal from this list that's what I'll get. Never had an issue with install or going bang

1 hour ago, Frankly said:

It is probably superstitious but I install KHS anti walk pins on all my cartridge triggers, add a few bucks there. 

+1 on that - hear you don't need them, but I have anti-walk pins on every gun just for fun. Several of the drop ins will come with them, I use a lot of CMC anti walk pins. 

I have or have owned a couple thousand $ of top end AR triggers and have come to the conclusion once you pass $200 you need to figure out what style matches you not which we say is best. Examples include say AR gold, hyperfire ecl, and a timney calvin, all awesome top tier triggers, all feel completely different shooting. Only way I know to be sure is buy a lot of triggers or get people to let you live fire theirs and think hard about the pull and reset dynamics that match your shooting style.

Maybe my old thread will be of help to you:  

I tried the triggertech diamond and HATED IT.  Many others love it.  First you'll want to figure out if you want a single stage or 2 stage.  The rest is preference.  You can't tell me that Jerry Miculek won't destroy everyone here with a generic mil-spec trigger...

I put my timney competition 3 pound trigger back in, and love it so much more than I thought I did.  I'm not looking for a new trigger any more.

I have or have had Giessle, Hyperfire 3 gun, AR Gold, Wilson Combat 3 gun, polished up mil spec with JP springs, JP triggers done by JP and a Timney in an AR10.

Of all the ones mentioned, the JP triggers in my CTR-02s are my preference. The break is very crisp and the reset is short. The one that I liked the least was the AR Gold. I just didn't like the way it felt. I like the feel of the Timney in the AR10, but I just put it in (prize table pickup from Blueridge, took the Wilson out of the AR10 and put it in a carbine for my daughter) and don't have enough rounds to know if it will be reliable yet.

Hurley

I suppose that it can, but I have shot several in other people's rifles and only one came close to feeling like the factory ones. It was put in by a do it yourself guy that followed the instructions and said he had many hours of time fitting it.

Hurley

11 hours ago, Broncos79 said:

Thank you HRider - sounds like you have been through all or many of the top trigger contenders - can a JP trigger be installed outside of JP and still achieve the same result?

Yes, it can be installed on any milspec lower. The guys in the factory have bested my efforts in every single attempt I've made at installation which speaks to both their experience and my lack of mechanical skill. 

Following your threads recently I do have a question for you. With all the feedback generally revolving around JP or x other brand what if you ordered a factory JP and ran it for a year? You end up with a top quality rifle, you're more knowledgeable about the tool for the game and you're focusing on shooting and having fun. 

The Calvin Elite is pretty wicked as a single state trigger. No takeup, no overtravel, firm reset, very light, show has about 10 adjustments.

Edited by adamge

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a Rise Armament RA-434, and am really liking it.
I have a CMC 3.5lb and a Geissele SSA-E, both of which are also quite nice, but I prefer the feel of the RA-434 over those two(very little travel/staging, crisp break, decent reset), and the price was somewhere in between them.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:10 PM, nheiny13 said:

I really like the Elftmann triggers. They have a very clean break and a solid reset

I too ran an Elftmann for some time.  I started having problems with the hammer falling to half cock, so I ground the half-cock notch down.  I put a cheap WMD trigger in it in the meantime, polished the engagement surfaces, threw in a screw to remove pretravel and a set of wolff springs.  It's light and has been 100% reliable.  I find that for a 3 gun rifle the trigger being good is important, but it's not as important as a GREAT trigger for pistol or precision rifle.  I think mine is around 3lbs right now, and the elftmann is still sitting in a spare parts box.  

any decent trigger will be a good choice for 3 gun.  

9 hours ago, OnVacation said:

I too ran an Elftmann for some time.  I started having problems with the hammer falling to half cock, so I ground the half-cock notch down.  I put a cheap WMD trigger in it in the meantime, polished the engagement surfaces, threw in a screw to remove pretravel and a set of wolff springs.  It's light and has been 100% reliable.  I find that for a 3 gun rifle the trigger being good is important, but it's not as important as a GREAT trigger for pistol or precision rifle.  I think mine is around 3lbs right now, and the elftmann is still sitting in a spare parts box.  

any decent trigger will be a good choice for 3 gun.  

Try reinstalling it, making sure that the two sets screws are turned evenly. I do that by, before installing it, making sure the set screws are completely flush with the housing. Then install. I then turn each screw a half a turn, alternating screws each turn, until they are snug. And make them snug. If that doesn't work, contact Elf. They will make it right

2 hours ago, nheiny13 said:

Try reinstalling it, making sure that the two sets screws are turned evenly. I do that by, before installing it, making sure the set screws are completely flush with the housing. Then install. I then turn each screw a half a turn, alternating screws each turn, until they are snug. And make them snug. If that doesn't work, contact Elf. They will make it right

They already replaced it once.  I verified the install.  It was likely a result of a very loose pull weight and no overtravel letting it catch.  I still recommend them, its just not what I'm running right now.