Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where is the love for Stock II ?

Not so long ago lot's of topics about the 'unicorn', Tanfoglio Stock II. Is everybody shooting CZ's Shadow 2 nowadays?

Reason for asking. I have a Shadow 2 and played a bit with a Stock II last week. Much better ergonomics (for me) then the Shadow 2... It just felt better.

Used to have a Stock II in the past, sold it (to soon) since couldn't get the trigger right. This one has all the patriot defense springs and lot's (lot's!!) of polishing.

SA was at 2 lbs, DA under 6lbs. SA on par with my Shadow 2 (maybe even better) DA bit more stacking but nothing I couldn't handle. Tempted to make the change... Not looking forward to hours of polishing / tinkering though 🙂

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Stock 2’s first and switched to a shadow 2. I do like the balance of the Stock 2 and shorter slide, but I like grip, feel, mag release, trigger, and hammer spring access all better on the CZ. I sent you a PM also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, DKnoch said:

I had Stock 2’s first and switched to a shadow 2. I do like the balance of the Stock 2 and shorter slide, but I like grip, feel, mag release, trigger, and hammer spring access all better on the CZ. I sent you a PM also

Afraid I am in Europe 🙂

Anyway, so many went to Shadow 2....

4 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Used to have a Stock II in the past, sold it (to soon) since couldn't get the trigger right. This one has all the patriot defense springs and lot's (lot's!!) of polishing.

SA was at 2 lbs, DA under 6lbs. SA on par with my Shadow 2 (maybe even better) DA bit more stacking but nothing I couldn't handle. Tempted to make the change... Not looking forward to hours of polishing / tinkering though 🙂

Tanfo's fit me better, obviously they are both good guns, my Tanfo preference is the Stock 3.

For what it is worth, you do not need hours and hours of polishing. I spent as much time getting my Shadow 2 where I was happy with it as I have on any Tanfo's. The CZ is a good bit closer to where it ought to be right out of the box (and I think CZ does a better job holding tolerances) but if you are fussy it is pretty much the same parts swap and polish with either brand. 

Both great pistols.  If there is one thing I hate about the Shadow 2, its the tri top slide.  Even for really experienced shooters that slide can be a bugger to deal with even more so than the older czs.  That is a deal breaker for me.  The tanfoglio pistols really do have a much better slide profile.  In my opinion the advantages of the shadow 2 out of the box is the fiber optic front sight,  and a somewhat better but still not great trigger pulls.   With the added cost of the shadow 2, tri top slide, plus the fact that they both could use some trigger work anyway, I went with the tanfoglio instead of the shadow 2 and I tuned it all up and I’m into it the base shadow 2 price.  

for a guy who is going to leave them stock, that might be a different story.  The tanfo da trigger pull is heavy and plenty of stack, sa has plenty of take up and creep, front sight and grips aren’t as good as what comes on the CZ.  

4 hours ago, StanJ said:

Both great pistols.  If there is one thing I hate about the Shadow 2, its the tri top slide.  Even for really experienced shooters that slide can be a bugger to deal with even more so than the older czs.  That is a deal breaker for me.  The tanfoglio pistols really do have a much better slide profile.  In my opinion the advantages of the shadow 2 out of the box is the fiber optic front sight,  and a somewhat better but still not great trigger pulls.   With the added cost of the shadow 2, tri top slide, plus the fact that they both could use some trigger work anyway, I went with the tanfoglio instead of the shadow 2 and I tuned it all up and I’m into it the base shadow 2 price.  

for a guy who is going to leave them stock, that might be a different story.  The tanfo da trigger pull is heavy and plenty of stack, sa has plenty of take up and creep, front sight and grips aren’t as good as what comes on the CZ.  

Good observations and advice.

find a aus model length or get the new stock master if your in US!

I shot a 92, a Shadow 2, and a Stock 2 before moving from my Glock 34. Admittedly I only put a few rounds through each, but the Stock II just felt better in my hands. 

(On a much more shallow note I am a sucker for that hard chrome finish!)

PIcked up a Stock II Xtreme for a song and dance. Personally I love the Stock II grips with the standard thickness grips instead of the slim grips. I picked up so LOK grips to sort that out.

I really don't like the Shadow 2 grip at all. I would much rather just shoot the older Shadows over the Shadow 2.

In my area I see about an equal number of Shadow 2 shooter as Stock II shooters.

Both are awesome guns! For me I am back into the stock 2 with a sight adaptor for Carry Optics coming from an x5 legion. Honestly the spring changes and polishing were kinda fun for me especially being stuck at home. Now this trigger feels so good just waiting on my lok palm swell to come in for my match gun.

I played with shadow 2’s and they are definitely great. It comes down to personal preference and for me it’s stock 2 all day. I just like the feel and the trigger better along with the way is points for me.

9 hours ago, BigAm said:

I really don't like the Shadow 2 grip at all. I would much rather just shoot the older Shadows over the Shadow 2.

That is an excellent point. If I was going back to CZ it would be an SP01 variant. Again, not because there is anything wrong with the Sh2, SP01 just feels better in my hand (and you can steal them used sometimes). 

I guess I’m the odd duck here.... never shot a CZ. I have held one and it pointed OK. My first Tanfo  is a match (will have). Changed out the springs and polished the internals and that’s about all it took. Next one was a limited and about 4 months into it I realized that my eyes were the “limited” problem shooting limited class. Found a deal on a new stock 2, put a slide mounted SRO on it and I’ve been a very happy camper. I am about the only Tanfo shooter at my local club but have seen a couple of others at other ranges. LOTS more CZ’s around here. I guess I like being different but mine has been so polished that’s it is so smooth. Don’t think I want to go a different route than Tanfoglio’s. and I’m sticking with them. 

The Shadow 2 has a very awkward slide profile. It almost feels like the frame is thicker than the slide making it hard to use the front serrations to rack. I’ve had both and love my tanfos. The thing I do love about CZ is the the hammer and spring design. Cause it’s a pain with my Tanfos. 

11 hours ago, J_mooniz said:

The Shadow 2 has a very awkward slide profile. It almost feels like the frame is thicker than the slide making it hard to use the front serrations to rack. I’ve had both and love my tanfos. The thing I do love about CZ is the the hammer and spring design. Cause it’s a pain with my Tanfos. 

I very much agree with this. The Shadow 2 slide is tapered up which makes it very very odd to grab onto for me. Im sure a lot of people disagree, but if it was my money right now and I had it all to do over again I'd by two Stock 2s, two Shadows, or honestly...two P320 X5 legions. Heck Id even buy two Limited Pros over the Shadow 2.

Both are fantastic!!

for me I choose the stock 3 I don’t like chrome on the stock 2! So between the stock 3 and the shadow 2 the tail is the same as the internal parts I’ve had both of them apart! Tanfo is a little more simplified as the parts and retaining of some pins! So then it comes to the grip and texture of the controls the grip angle is the same for both stock 3 out of the box the grip panels have some meat to them which I like vs the flat panels on the shadow! I don’t like the tri top slide for me it was hard to grab a hold of for unloaded starts! The fiber front on the shadow yeah factory but can easily order one for the stock 3! What’s left oh for us poors the tanfo has a great price tag ! I looked at this hard I can buy a stock 3 for $850 or the shadow 2 for $1200 and setting up a new rig for uspsa 6 mags later and all the springs to make the stock 3 a great gun light da/sa tigger pull I think I’ve got a great little gun for cheaper! It’s all a personal preference when it comes to these 2/3 guns and pocket book!! 

I never liked the CZ trigger action in DA. It sort of starts heavy and gets lighter as you pull which is opposite of the stacking you tend to feel on the Tanfos. 

Tanfo/EAA has messed with their pricing recently though so maybe that's a big cause of seeing less new ones show up. I'm also interested in the Stock Master but that would require a new holster and have that slide machined for an optic since I'm shooting CO and the slide from my Stock 2 won't interchange

• 4 weeks later...

After trying both, I liked the ergonomics on the stock 2 better then the CZ. As someone with larger hands, ordering custom LOK grips, in thicker sizes, made all the difference in the world

On 4/23/2020 at 11:13 AM, waktasz said:

Tanfo/EAA has messed with their pricing recently though so maybe that's a big cause of seeing less new ones show up. 

As I understand it the changes are in minimum advertising prices more than the price you end up paying if you make a phone call. Regardless, I suspect you are correct and sales are lost when people see the higher numbers.

No denying they're both GR8 guns, but for me the fact that many Tanfos including the Stock II are available in .40,  is a "Major" plus 🙂 I like the sights better on the Stock II, as well as the finish,  it does not have a rail and it just feels better in my hand. 

Edited by gnappi