Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Magazine Carrier/Pouch Question

szhttm

Hello,

I've tried looking through the IDPA rules and this forum but haven't been able to find the answer.  I'm hoping you can assist me.

Can IDPA legal magazine carrier/pouch have a small/short "mag well" at the top to allow for a quicker insertion of the magazine into the carrier/pouch?  So in other words, the carrier/pouch would be slightly wider at the top and then angle inward to the size of the magazine.  If not, what is the rule?

Thank you!!!

16 minutes ago, szhttm said:

Hello,

I've tried looking through the IDPA rules and this forum but haven't been able to find the answer.  I'm hoping you can assist me.

Can IDPA legal magazine carrier/pouch have a small/short "mag well" at the top to allow for a quicker insertion of the magazine into the carrier/pouch?  So in other words, the carrier/pouch would be slightly wider at the top and then angle inward to the size of the magazine.  If not, what is the rule?

Thank you!!!

I don't know if you're shooting the single stack gun or not but, if you're shooting a double stack gun like a Glock who's magazine tapers to one round at the top it's almost like you have a magazine well on your mag holder the begin with. Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I don't know if you're shooting the single stack gun or not but, if you're shooting a double stack gun like a Glock who's magazine tapers to one round at the top it's almost like you have a magazine well on your mag holder the begin with. Just a thought.

Thank you USMC1974.

Yes, this would be for double stack guns like Glocks.  You are also correct about the tapered area.

The tapered area you mentioned is at the bottom of the magazine and magazine pouch.  The wider area I'm curious would be at the top of the pouch.

Here is the relevant section of the rulebook.

8.6.2 Magazine Carriers
A. Must be suitable for concealed carry and all day continuous wear
B. Must be worn on an IDPA legal belt
C. Must cover 2” of the magazine as measured from the top of the cartridge rim down the back flat of the
magazine tube
D. Must cover the entire outer face of the portion of the magazine inside the carrier. The outer face is the side
away from the shooter’s body
E. Must hold the magazine within 10° of vertical relative to the belt. (80° to 100° relative to the belt).
F. Screws or knobs that extend past the outer face of the carrier are allowed if the adjustment screw(s) require a
tool to change tension, the screws protrude less than 0.125” from the outer face of the magazine carrier, and
they meet all other magazine carrier requirements. Additionally, all tension screws anywhere on a magazine
carrier must require a tool for tension adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...