Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred grip tape

Bill H

I just used skate board tape cut to size and burnished the whole surface with an old 9/16 socket on an extension for leverage to knock off the high stuff. Worked perfectly and no longer tore up my hands.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did silica carbide on my gun its held up well for 3 years of 3gun abuse. If I went going permanent I would use 3m walk way grip tape from the hardware store and cut to fit how I wanted. The glue is stronger than talon's. I have it on a metal frame gun and it hasn't sweated off  or noticeably slid in the last year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 8:03 AM, sam_b said:

I did silica carbide on my gun its held up well for 3 years of 3gun abuse. If I went going permanent I would use 3m walk way grip tape from the hardware store and cut to fit how I wanted. The glue is stronger than talon's. I have it on a metal frame gun and it hasn't sweated off  or noticeably slid in the last year.

+1 I always buy 3M stair grip tape and cut it up to apply to exactly where I want it. It's cheap and extremely grippy. I have it on trigger shoe faces, mag release surfaces, bolt catch surfaces, etc.

I prefer the rubber Talon grips on my carry pistols, and the granulate on my competition and home defense guns. The granulate will tear up your clothes if used for daily CCW, but the extra grip is handy for nervous, summertime, or otherwise sweaty hands. Talon recently released a new “PRO” grip which combines the rubber and granulate. I’ve not tried it yet but a buddy of mine (who has tried just about every type of grip solution over a few decades) loves it.

On 7/22/2020 at 1:32 AM, Malarky112 said:

I've had Talon on my G34 for over two years now, probably 15,000 rounds and countless matches.  Hasn't moved at all.  Take your time with the prep and def use some heat at the end to set in the glue.

Also, 👆👆👆 times 100.  Surface prep is key - I wash many hands to get any oil off my hands, and wipe the pistol grip down with alcohol and a soft cloth multiple times to make sure there’s no oil left that will impair the talon from adhering. Apply the grip carefully, and follow the directions to use heat (but not too much) to set.  

• 1 month later...

I just got some of the new Pro texture grips from Talon. They are a cross between the Rubber and Sandpaper texture. I like they way they fill out the hand like the rubber ones and have great grip of the sandpaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally gave up on grip tape and gritted my grips. I hate myself for not doing it sooner.  It’s fairly painless and easy to make look decent. 

I’ll probably end up doing it soon. I love the look and feel. Just haven’t felt ready to commit yet.

Just now, Sethdaniel05 said:

I’ll probably end up doing it soon. I love the look and feel. Just haven’t felt ready to commit yet.

I put it off for at least a year. Then it took literally 30 minutes including diassembly of the gun. Just tape real good, apply epoxy, apply grit, remove tape, and hang until dry

Just now, Sethdaniel05 said:

Looks grippy!

I’ve got a raw spot on the heal of my palm on my support hand.  Right where the grip tape used to shift on me. I suspect it will wear down some over time and my office hands will become more manly. 

On 8/31/2020 at 6:57 PM, tha1000 said:

I finally gave up on grip tape and gritted my grips. I hate myself for not doing it sooner.  It’s fairly painless and easy to make look decent. 

But obviously you didn’t prep and apply correctly!

I mean there are all these people that have no issues. 

32 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

But obviously you didn’t prep and apply correctly!

I mean there are all these people that have no issues. 

It’s possible that I’m an idiot and did it wrong but I did use alcohol to clean and heat to bind. I am an accomplished destroyer of things. 

Edited by tha1000

57 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

It’s possible that I’m an idiot and did it wrong but I did use alcohol to clean and heat to bind. I am an accomplished destroyer of things. 

No. I’m kidding. You grip hard. So, it doesn’t stay. 

Hard to beat the Talon grips. The older generation that didn't have the little tail and top part on the backstrap split were the best. I've had them on Glocks for years with no issues. 

For back straps/grip inserts, I like silicon carbide. They're cheap enough to replace if you do sell the gun. More than a few people don't want to buy a gun that has been permanently modified.