Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred grip tape

Bill H

I know this has probably been discussed in the past but I couldn't find it. Is the Talon grip tape good stuff? Is there something better? Rubber type or grit? It is for a Glock 17 for competition. 

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your going to buy precut tape. The talons are good, and springer has worked well for me as well. Silicon carbide would be a better route and give you more control of how aggresive you may want it.

16 minutes ago, m700 said:

If your going to buy precut tape. The talons are good, and springer has worked well for me as well. Silicon carbide would be a better route and give you more control of how aggresive you may want it.

Can you expand on the silicon carbide...what/how/who? Thx

Silicon carbide is basically sand paper without the paper. You can buy it in grits like sandpaper and epoxy it to the gun. There are videos on you tube. This is a pretty permanent  sollution

tape off anything you dont want covered, mix 15 minute epoxy(follow directions mix it well), apply epoxy to gun, pour silicon carbide on the epoxy, and let it dry.

There are people who will do it for you if your not interested in trying (Alma on this site does it well from what I here) I tried it on a spare grip and am waiting for my springer tapes to wear out before doing it to a couple of my guns.

You can also shape the grip prior to this if the grip doesnt fit you right. Depending on what the gun is for though this could eliminate you in some competitions. Check rules before doing it

I haven’t had any issues with the talons on any of my pistols. As long as you install them properly and use a heat gun on them they hold up really well actually, and for 20-ish bucks each are easily replaced or taken off, and if you don’t like it then you are only out 20 bucks. I’ve also stippled my own frames and it’s really not as hard as I thought it would be, I used some tips from OTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talon will peel off after a month or two most of the time. The black diamond grip tape is the best I've found, it will stay put for several months even with heavy dry fire. If you want it pre-cut you can get them from Dawson Precision (3 for $15) or you can buy rolls of the black diamond skateboard tape and cut your own. 

You can get a sheet of Jessup grip tape from any skateboard shop or order it online for like $5, it's the best. 1 sheet is enough for like 5+ Glocks or you can just change it often if it gets banged up or dirty.

I’ve been using some ladder tape from Lowe’s for awhile. I don’t worry how pretty it looks—it’s gonna need to be replaced in a couple months anyway. 

Talon grips are about the best grips going these days. But, they are not as good as the Trugrip tape that Eric Wesselman used to sell on this site. I’d love to be able to get a bunch more of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Ive used the Talon in both the rubber and the sandpaper. Also, I just installed the sandpaper "Handle it Grips" on my Glock 17. I personally like both and would use either one. For competition, definitely go with the sandpaper style. They grip much better than the rubber. 

Just installed a set of the Handle It sandpaper grips. They came as a recommendation from someone who previously used Trugrip but obviously can't anymore. Very grippy and felt good but have only used them at the range.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 10:04 PM, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Is there any place to get colored Silicon carbide? 

I've only ever found gray however I've seen black paint jobs done on top afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I prefer grip tape on competition guns. I went into a skate board shop and felt every grit they had. I bought a 1' x 3' piece for about $20 and I've done several guns, last more than seven years now. 

I take the gun, put a piece of paper over it and basically take a rubbing with a pencil. Then transpose that to the back of the grip tape and cut. 

On 4/3/2020 at 9:42 PM, Cuz said:

Talon grips are about the best grips going these days. But, they are not as good as the Trugrip tape that Eric Wesselman used to sell on this site. I’d love to be able to get a bunch more of those.

This, I do miss the Tru-grip, but Talon has a decent product.

Used to make my own off of the trugrip pattern, Talon covers well, less material and steps.

Edited by vluc