Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picatiny Rails milled into 1911 Slide?

RezRocket

Have a friend who wants me to mill "custom" picatiny rails milled onto his slide. It's an R1 slide which is a series 80's style. He wants to fit a fast fire with the picatiny adapter on it. I mentioned the adapter plates to it but he really wants the rail cut.

Dimensionally I think it would fit but the question of how thin Is too thin pop's into my mind. It would only leave 0.065 thousands where the fire pin block channel is to the sidewall. And every slide I see has just a rail bolted on top after it is flattened.

Thoughts? Experience's?

Edited by RezRocket
Additional Information

I certainly don't think that'd work - the 1911 slide is probably too thin per your point here, and probably not deep enough. Welding a pic rail to the top would be real ugly as well and may affect gun function. 

His options either are adapter plate, or honestly, why not buy an open-gun style frame-mounted optic mount with pic rail? Will give him the options he wants for pic rail and probably cheaper than custom milling a slide

Talk him out of it, tell him that pic rails are not made to be used on reciprocating slides and wont stand up or hold zero well . On a rifle the pic rail just needs to hold up against recoil, not being slammed back the other direction also . Height over bore would be another issue to bring up .  None of this may be true but thats what I'd go with .   Mill it for the fast fire or adapter plates.