Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bushnell First Strike 2.0 footprint

Cam73

Hey guys-

Does anyone have the footprint dimensions of the First Strike 2.0? I've asked Bushnell several times with no response. The pattern appears to be proprietary and I'm looking for similarities (primarily center-center and size of mounting screw holes) with other red dot optics. Hoping to modify a exiting optic plate rather than start from scratch.

Zev managed to fit one on KC's OZ9 and a Cheely does open gun mount, but other than that I've seen not seen anything. I can't help but think it would be a good big window budget red dot option if it holds up. 

Thanks

Thanks.

I've been through that one a few times, even asked a similar question. Hoping some new information would turn up.

I'm going to try and mount this optic on a TP9SFx. The factory optic plates are plentiful and inexpensive($15) if I screw one up trying to modify it. Having one manufactured would tip the scales out of the budget category. Although large, the physical dimensions of the FS 2.0 should be okay. I'm trying to determine if there is enough real estate on one of the factory plates to install rear recoil bosses without mounting fastener interference (dot to plate, plate to slide). Could very well end up with the optic hanging way off either end of the plate. I've roughed out a shim to raise a factory optic plate flush with the top of the slide to allow the use of an optic with a longer body(most big window options) but I have my doubts 🤣

• 4 weeks later...

I asked Bushnell repeatedly for the footprint information. They eventually responded and declined my request saying the information could not be released, but I was welcome to make my own drawing from the optic, of course that would require spending the $160 first. I was going to call it quits with the FS 2.0 after their lame response, but I guess curiosity got the best of me.

I saved several images of the optic taken directly from the top and side then resized the images until the optic in the image matched the listed dimensions provided on the Bushnell website. Then I measured critical features and compared them to the optics plates provided with the TP9SFx and some other red dots I have. It was close enough that I decided to purchase one. Knowing if it was a total fail I could re purpose the dot to a different gun(PCC).

As luck would have it, the back half of the FS 2.0 is the exact same as the Venom (mounting screw centers and recoil bosses). I filed the front recoil bosses off the #1 plate, cut out one dog bone shaped shim and one rectangle shim(there is a step down on the firing pin tunnel inside the optic cut) to fit under the plate, bought the correct M3 mounting screws and installed. The thickness of the main shim can be witnessed as the size of the gap at the edge of the plate.

I don't think using multiple shims that contact the firing pin tunnel is the right way to do this. I'd like to have direct bearing on the slide by shimming the edges of the plate (where the gap is now). However, that area is narrow and the optic plate mounting screws pass through it. That is the main reason I did shim it originally, but having tinkered with it a little now has changed my mind.

As for the dot, I don't think it's bright enough to use in competition. As compared to a Venom (couldn't get both dots in the window for the photo) or Holosun, it just can't keep up. 

So...I think that's that.

IMG_20200426_104135-2.jpg.73cdbcee10372c30f1e6a97581b2f3ff.jpg571452133_IMG_20200426_1041492.jpg.5e3cfd603e0cebe8264ca22d0244e912.jpgIMG_20200426_105148-2.jpg.4803874eed2cd33105dff17a9c6d4693.jpg

On 4/26/2020 at 12:23 PM, Cam73 said:

I don't think using multiple shims that contact the firing pin tunnel is the right way to do this. I'd like to have direct bearing on the slide by shimming the edges of the plate (where the gap is now). However, that area is narrow and the optic plate mounting screws pass through it. That is the main reason I did shim it originally, but having tinkered with it a little now has changed my mind.

EDIT-Typo above. Should read "didn't shim it originally"

FWIW- When I cut the "dog bone" shim to rest on the firing pin tunnel, I didn't have the Whiteout gun for reference and didn't want to remove the venom/plate from the brown gun. I used the underside of a spare optic plate as a template when I decided against edge shims. There is more real estate on the edges of the optic cut on the slide than the optic plate would lead one to believe. I've since made edge shims ( to fill gaps shown in the pictures) out of .08" aluminum and removed the original shims. Works much better, front of the FS 2.0 is about .015" above the slide. Hope to shoot it soon. 

• 1 year later...