Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffing revolver parts

FWSixgunner

I guess techcically this question belongs in a gunsmithing forum but since it's revolver-specific, I'll post it here:

Does anyone use a bench-mounted buffer to polish S&W action parts?

If so:

What RPM are you running?

What kind of wheel (soft, hard, stiched, etc)?

What's your compund?

Thanks.

I use a 3M ScotchBrite wheel. It's like a buffing wheel, but with the abrasive already all through the wheel. No adding sticks of abrasive to the surface. I get mirror polished surfaces in seconds. I use an EXL deburring wheel in 8 A Medium or 9 S Fine. The A is Aluminum Oxide, the S is Silicon Carbide grit. I have tried other brands, but they just don't work nearly as well.

These come in all different sizes, one of them will fit your buffer. I use it for deburring machined parts mostly, but it works great for any metal buffing or polishing as well.

Edited by Toolguy

The case hardening is .010 to .015 thick. You would have to slightly change the size and shape of the part to go past it. Just removing the surface roughness and polishing won't hurt anything. The colors of the case hardening are super thin, just on the surface. 

Edited by Toolguy