Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

L7A1 9mm ammo in lightweight commander?

1911Rocks

Hello everyone. I inherited 500 rds of the infamous L7A1 9mm ammo. Many of you will recognize that it is loaded VERY HOT. I have a Colt LIghtweight Commander in .38 Super that I'm rebarreling to 9mm. Apparently, Colt uses an 18# recoil spring in both. Will the pistol hold up to that stoked-up ammo with a heavier spring? Brownells has up to 24#. Are Wilson's Shok Buff pads any good? Thank you.

I"m not familiar with the ammo you speak of, but I wouldn't beat up an aluminum framed gun with hot ammo.  18# is pretty heavy, even for +P 9mm ammo.  I think most of my 9mm 1911s have 10# recoil springs in them.  SHok Buffs do a good job of buffering, but they break apart and cause failures at the worst times.  If you're going to use them, buy a bunch of them and replace them frequently.  When I used to use them shooting 40 Major, I put a Dawson alumabuff in front of the Wilson to keep it from getting cut.  

I’ve heard nato spec sub gun ammo and that’s it’s loaded hotter than commercial and I’d be leery about shooting it your gun

before I’d worry about springs I’d worry about case support, especially if your barrel is unramped 

Rishii, I didn't want to expound ad nauseum about the ammo, but that's close to what I have read. My thoughts are: pull thirty and find the average charge weight. Reduce by 20% for ten rounds, 15% for ten rounds, and 10% for ten rounds. Test fire, and either make a decision on how much to reduce them all, or test further.