Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 primer feeding issues

Is It possible for the rotary primer disk to go bad?  My press has probably 10-15,000 rounds through It. The primer indexing arm is getting hung up. 

Edit: I did take It completely apart to clean. I loaded about 100 rounds with no issues but then It started hanging up. I took It apart again and flipped the rotary primer disk and lightly oiled with motor oil. This did not help. 

Edit 2: I stretched the indexing arm spring out and It worked substantially better. It appears I need a new spring. 

Edited by cworks

I’m curious about this, as I’ve had this problem intermittently as well. I planned on replacing parts until it was fixed, but maybe someone can answer this and save some trouble finding the problem part. I figured the arm that rotates the disk, is the most likely culprit; but I don’t know for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have a spare spring but stretched It out some and It worked good. Out of 250 rounds after I stretched It, I had to manually index It 8 times. I also played with going faster on the down stroke and that seemed to help as well. Appears I need a new spring. 

I had a primer disk warp. Most likely from a hung up primer or something. I didn’t even notice until I was on the phone with dillon and noticed that the disk wasn’t laying flat on my bench. Once it was laying flat I could push on the edge and it would move 

I just went thru the same exact thing, I called Dillon and they sent a new spring and primer index arm, I haven’t loaded any rounds yet but it seems to have fixed it. A couple of thing the guy at Dillon told me is in the manual, the drawing of the primer system shows the wave spring In the wrong orientation, make sure the spring is set with the domed side up, also and adjust the primer station locator arm so it doesn’t touch the case because if it is holding the case too tightly it will cause crushed primers and the residue will gum it up 

Called Dillon yesterday and apparently Monday's are not the day you want to call! 46 minutes waiting for a rep but they got me fixed up with a new indexing arm and a couple of springs. Hopefully that will fix my problem. Thanks for the help! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

You are having the exact same problem I described in a similar thread here a few down from this one.  Changing the arm spring was the key to solving it. I also changed the wave washer, and every thing else in the assembly because I had spares and Dillon sent me new replacements at no cost.

BTW, that site for the Dillon videos was very useful.