Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for those using a Cheely XWF Heavy Open Frame

kamber

I'm wondering if using a single-sided mount that centers the optic in-line with the bore on a regular width frame, such as the Everglades mount, would still do so if used with a CGW XWF Heavy Open frame.

I can see via the description and pictures that the XWF Heavy Open frame has a recessed area where the 5x mounting holes are, but i'm unsure how deep the recession are cut and if it would mimic that of a regular width frame.

Anyone running a XWF Heavy Open frame that would be able to comment on if they were able to center an Everglades or similar mount over the bore?

No experience with the Everglades mount. Matt build my gun with the XWF frame and his mount for an RTS2. The recess in the frame looks to be slightly less than half the thickness of the side of the mount where the 5 screws are. The centerline of the optic is ever so slightly to the left of the centerline of the bore, viewed from the rear. The offset is so minimal that it's not noticeable at a glance. Keep in mind I didn't measure anything, just how it looks with my good eye. 

I've had 3 guns built on XWF frames now. What Pat Rafferty did for me, with a standard Cheely Mount twice, and an Everglades mount once, is machine the "mounting pad" on the optic mount flush with the rest of the mount. He did not cut the frame recess. There MIGHT be a few thousandths difference from "exact" center over bore, but I have never noticed it. I think that is something you're not going to notice while shooting, at all, and I've never paid it no mind as long as it's within 10-30 thou.

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, kamber said:

I'm wondering if using a single-sided mount that centers the optic in-line with the bore on a regular width frame, such as the Everglades mount, would still do so if used with a CGW XWF Heavy Open frame.

I can see via the description and pictures that the XWF Heavy Open frame has a recessed area where the 5x mounting holes are, but i'm unsure how deep the recession are cut and if it would mimic that of a regular width frame.

Anyone running a XWF Heavy Open frame that would be able to comment on if they were able to center an Everglades or similar mount over the bore?

Is this what you are talking about? My mount is to the left of center, don't like it (brand new gun). My smith said that's how it is.

20220228_190012.jpg

So I've contacted 2 buddies with opens, 1 has Centered mounts, and the other Left of bore mount.

Both guys are really good shooters and Left guy never noticed his mount til I asked him. 

Is it worth milling the mount? At what distance would the accuracy really suffer (strictly for USPSA use).

My smith doesnt/didn't mil the mount, and I know I'm definitely not the first or last to order from him, should I just leave it?

I have a Cheely open gun on a standard frame and a Honcho on a PT frame (obviously) when I switched my cheely mount over to the Honcho for the Romeo XL it was off-center. I then bought the PT mount and it's now centered.

What I'm getting at is you can probably use a PT optic mount and it will be relatively centered on the XWF frame but I can't guarantee it. Or you can have the Cheely mount machined. 

22 hours ago, DodgeNerd said:

Is it worth milling the mount? At what distance would the accuracy really suffer (strictly for USPSA use).

you would be hard pressed to mount one far enough off center to make a difference. Like even if you hung one 2 inches off to the side once you spent an hour practicing finding the dot I don't think there would be any accuracy issues enough to cause problems 

On 3/1/2022 at 8:52 AM, DodgeNerd said:

Is this what you are talking about? My mount is to the left of center, don't like it (brand new gun). My smith said that's how it is.

20220228_190012.jpg

Correct, that is exactly what I was referring to with my question. I'll have to take a look at my blaster when I get home to see if/how off-center my Everglades mount is. I don't remember if I specifically asked Don to mill it down to center it for me when I had it built.

On 3/16/2022 at 1:47 PM, donnyglock said:

If it does bother you send me the mount and I’ll mill it down for you. 

Cheers brotha, while I'm perfectly fine with it as is, I do appreciate the offer!

2 hours ago, jbauman915 said:

@Kamber...unrelated to post, although I do center the mounts on our guns, just wanted to say "First in Asia!".  Haha.  Saw your profile picture figured I would say hello from fellow 1st Grouper.  

Haha right on.

I think we may have crossed paths at some point actually. Were you a JTAC and/or involved with the JTAC det? Apologies if not, it has been some years and I may be confusing you with someone with a similar last name.

Edited by kamber

23 hours ago, jbauman915 said:

Yeah I was a JTAC-I forever and JTAC-E for while too.  3BN the whole decade I was there.  

Ahh, gotcha. I was 2nd BN but I remember you from the '18 RSMA — I was ANARCHY14. Cool to see that you're running your own shop now man, best of luck with the business!