Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 swap to small primer

I'm setting up my 650 for small primer. I bought the press as is at auction and don't have what normally comes with the press. Is the list below all I need from Dillon to load small primer?

• Rotary primer disc- small
  • 650 primer magazine -small
  • Primer seater assembly-small

I have this all in my cart along with some extra pickup tubes etc. Just want to make sure before I pull the trigger on ordering. Also if anyone has upgrade recommendations I'm all ears. Is it worth getting the crank upgrade kit to get the pins with grease zerks?? Mine has the old pins. 

My upgrade list so far

• Dillon Roller handle
  • Skylight
  • Primer stop switch
  • Case feed stop switch
  • Spent primer tube catcher
  • Strong mount
  • Shell plate bearing kit
  • And I can't decide if I'm getting the arredondo stabilizer or the little rubber washer things that go on the locator pins

FYI: I was going to call Dillon today. Took me 25min to get through as the 4th caller. The line got disconnected and I immediately tried to call back and I was now the 6th caller. Sounds like they are swamped right now.

Looks like you have everything needed to change your priming system to small. As for your upgrades, some guys go all out and get aftermarket stuff for every component. Others leave them bone stock. It's personal preference. I'd highly recommend a light kit so you can see into the casings, roller handle, strong mount, spent primer catcher and the bearing kit. Those few items will make your life way easier.

If your press didn't come with a manual I'd recommend downloading a copy from dillons website and printing it out. It will answer 99%of your questions providing you actually read it. This forum is also a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck!

The primer swap looks good.

as far as the aftermarket stuff that all looks good as well. You may want to order snowshooze grand slam kit that will take care of alot of that list at a bit of a savings.

I have tried the shell plate bearing wasn't a big fan. The olite washer that comes in the grand slam kit works much better in my opinion.

You may also wanna add extra primer tubes, its a pain to stop and reload it when you only have 1. And for that matter pick up a frankford arsenal tube filler(35$). I fill 6 tubes in half the time i would fill 1 pecking at a flip tray.

I got my 650 about 5 minutes before they anounced the 750 so I got mine with zircs. But my 550 didnt come with them and i havent had any problems its still greasable with a needle. I would get press running and see how it feels. If you cant sufficiantly grease it with a needle then go for it.

this is the grease gun I use for the 550. I tried 2 standard guns and the grease would get everywhere this thing works well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMK7FG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 3/26/2020 at 6:15 PM, CPD7119 said:

Looks like you have everything needed to change your priming system to small. As for your upgrades, some guys go all out and get aftermarket stuff for every component. Others leave them bone stock. It's personal preference. I'd highly recommend a light kit so you can see into the casings, roller handle, strong mount, spent primer catcher and the bearing kit. Those few items will make your life way easier.

If your press didn't come with a manual I'd recommend downloading a copy from dillons website and printing it out. It will answer 99%of your questions providing you actually read it. This forum is also a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck!

Awesome, thank you. Orders the parts from Titan reloading. Surprised to find they carry small Dillon press parts. No paying msrp and faster shipping!

As soon as I get back to the office I will print the manual. Just didn't want to sift through the digital version and I was ready to submit my order.

I already have skylight (light kit) on the way with all the upgrades you mentioned 😉