Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it really dead?

Luv2rideWV

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

???

Difference in reloading cost is about $20.00/1000.

Investment in 9mm (holster + moon clips + grip + tuning + extra odds and ends) = + - $1400

So it looks like you break even at 70,000 rounds?  

We did the math a few years ago when this was a relevant question, and it included selling your 625. That was the argument back then, instantly a 1200$+ 625 set up went to 6-800$. 
Belts, holsters and grips should work fine from one gun to the other. So all a person needs is a minor gun setup to run. Price difference, with moons, after selling the 625 was 4-600. Reloading cost difference is 20-40$, but even at 20$ a worst case is 20-30k rounds to break even. 

Which any competitive shooter should shoot over 2-3 seasons. Even a low volume shooter will make that up. I’ve had a 929 since they came out, one of the first, so that’s 6 years this spring. I’d have had to shot 5k rounds a year, or 400ish rounds a month to make up for the cost. 

I agree it sucks having to sell gear and buy new just to stay relevant, but revolver needed something like this. Smith didn’t even make a gun people wanted to use. No one was shooting a 4” 625 at the top, and that’s the only gun they made. The last 3 years nationals had been won with a factory 929. 

On 3/27/2020 at 4:42 PM, Tom Freeman said:

Pat and I are pretty much the Colorado crew...

I havent shot 6 shot major in several years.

If we ever end up having matches this year ... I might just go and do that (in IPSC). Probably end up being last out of 6 or 10 revolver shooters. Not the last overall, though, if it goes like previous times.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 10:17 AM, Sanzo said:

as one of 357454's 2 shooters I would say .....   probably 😉

Send me a PM and I will get you in touch with exactly what you are looking for, I think.  Race ready.   (don't want to make this into a classified thread and it is my buddy's guns, so I can't post them)

On 3/28/2020 at 4:29 PM, mchapman said:

You won't know if you don't post it !

I don't my sell guns anymore. If I get tired of shooting/looking at it, I just clean it an put it in the the locker. Of course if somebody just has, to have it!!! and the money's there!!! I will sell one. but as a rule, I just put them in the locker. when I die they become Miss Kendall's problem.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:01 PM, PatJones said:

I dunno, I can beat all of the local singlestack Shooters, save one, with my 625 and I can't beat him with my 1911.

Can confirm. Pat's a beast.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:42 AM, Tom Freeman said:

Pat and I are pretty much the Colorado crew...

Can also confirm (for USPSA anyway). I represent the other end of the bell curve in Colorado, lol.

I ran all last season with an 8-shot, including the CO state championship and Nationals (1st place C-Class FEAR ME!!!1!). I was shooting this season (until it died) with a 6-shot major gun since it's what I run in IDPA and ICORE. I can honestly say... 8-shot has a massive advantage. It's way too easy to drop stage points when there's speed stages with 8-shot arrays; I've managed to pull a high "C" on Tick-Tock with a 6-shot, but I'm not sure how you can run it fast enough to outscore 8-shot guns that don't have to do two extra reloads. Additionally,  the advantage that major has (being able to shoot faster/sloppier) evaporates when the time you saved in splits gets lost to extra reloads. I will say that the delta between the two starts to lessen on longer field courses where better planning and movement can absorb some of the time spent reloading.

The best evidence I have is that I edged Pat out at the last ICORE we shot together (I shot L, he shot L6). He's way, way better than me, but I didn't have to reload as much as him on the speed steel stages. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've posted this before, but no, major 6 isn't competitive with minor 8 ultimately. 2012 Nationals I had a stage I shot as well as I could shoot, and not to buff my nails on my shirt but at the time I was good enough to know that while any performance is beatable it would take an exceptional effort on that stage to be in my same ballpark. I was the only 6 shooter on the super squad, and came in 7th on that stage or something awful like that.