Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning the cylinder half way thru a match?

ysrracer

Since I'm stuck at home I decided to clean my guns, and practice my reloads.

I'm amazed at how easy the rounds/moon clip go into my 627. So I was thinking, is it worth it to clean the cylinder half way thru a match?

Anybody do it?

414309735.jpg

Edited by ysrracer

A lot depends on  what powder you are using and how many reloads you can do before they start sticking in the cylinder.

I use to clean between stages but then switched to VV N 320 and didn't have to clean throughout an entire Steel Challenge. YMMV.

I can shoot an entire 15 stage match without having to swab out my cylinder even once. The use of good burning powder & clean jacketed bullets is the key.

Since 1996 I have used 38 Colt Short Starline brass, 4.6 gr Universal Clay's, 130 gr Montana Gold RN .356 bullets, Federal small primers, at 1.100" OAL for 1045 fps in my 5" 627 bbl or 136 PF

Accuracy is excellent, knocking down steel great, and a clean gun is awesome. Try it and you will see.

When I shoot revo it's with 6 shot speedloaders in 38 special. Coated lead bullets with a few different powders. I occasionally use a chamber brush during a match. It might be more neccessary compared to shorter cases. Might not really need to but it just takes a minute to do.

The only revolvers I ever had a problem with were ones chambered for semi auto calibers. The end of the chamber for those has a square shoulder that catches lead, carbon, powder, etc. in the sharp corner. After shooting for a while, it can build up enough to keep the rounds from going in all the way. The revo has multiple rounds all fed in by gravity, so it doesn't take much to hang it up. A semi auto has one round being shoved in by a (relatively) heavy spring loaded slide. It takes a lot more for that to not seat. The rimmed chambers all have a tapered funnel going from the case size (chamber) to the bullet size (throat), which allows most of the crud in front of the case mouth to just go out the barrel.

My solution for the 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, etc., is to make the same tapered funnel transition in those cylinders, as well. Then you can run them all day the same as the rimmed calibers, and they drop all the way in every time.

The only revolvers I ever had a problem with were ones chambered for semi auto calibers. The end of the chamber for those has a square shoulder that catches lead, carbon, powder, etc. in the sharp corner. After shooting for a while, it can build up enough to keep the rounds from going in all the way. The revo has multiple rounds all fed in by gravity, so it doesn't take much to hang it up. A semi auto has one round being shoved in by a (relatively) heavy spring loaded slide. It takes a lot more for that to not seat. The rimmed chambers all have a tapered funnel going from the case size (chamber) to the bullet size (throat), which allows most of the crud in front of the case mouth to just go out the barrel.

My solution for the 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, etc., is to make the same tapered funnel transition in those cylinders, as well. Then you can run them all day the same as the rimmed calibers, and they drop all the way in every time.
Isn't this why Smith & Wesson cuts the Chambers a little deep on the cylinders so they don't headspace without moonclips?

I can go multiple matches with me 625 & 627 without cleaning, and I'm not running particularly clean powders.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

When I shoot my revolver in a steel challenge match I'll take whatever ammo I've got the most of loaded . Sometimes it's 38 Short Colt loaded for USPSA sometimes it's 38 special loaded for IDPA and sometimes both . If I switch from 38 short colt to 38 special during a match I'll brush the cylinders . I found that those plastic brushes Glock sends out with every Glock pistol works fine for this .

11 minutes ago, PatJones said:

Isn't this why Smith & Wesson cuts the Chambers a little deep on the cylinders so they don't headspace without moonclips?

I can go multiple matches with me 625 & 627 without cleaning, and I'm not running particularly clean powders.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

I don't know if they cut the chambers deeper. Some people have told me in the past that they can shoot 45s in their 625 without moons. I reamed mine out with a 45 (Long) Colt reamer to get the tapered transition and they work better. I had Manson make a custom 38 Super and 40 S&W reamer for those calibers with the taper instead of square shoulder and they work great as well. My 627s are .357 so they already have a long chamber and the taper to begin with. I'm shooting Short Colt in them.

Edited by Toolguy

If you are using rounds like the ones in your OP the loaded moonclips, you may want to look at finding and using a different profiled bullet. If you go to a round nose instead of the flat point or truncated one pictured, I think that you will find the round nose will help improve your speed of reloads if that is something you are trying to do.

• 1 month later...