Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire privacy

ohsevenflhx

It seems like the hour I have designated to dry fire that the people in the house find it necessary to come in, come by, ask questions, have a problem with this or that. They aren't doing it on purpose.  I have a designated dry fire/gun room that nobody is interested in until I start dry firing.

Seriously, this is why I dry fire right after I get home from work and before the Mrs. does. Fortunately we are empty nesters. I get about an hour and a half before the “Honey,...” begins.

This should probably be in the "things I hate" forum, but I was in the middle of dry fire today and again it happens. What the real issue is that then your mind wanders off too what is being said or has been said and it distracts me from dry fire mode.

It can be tough to get good dry fire practice with family around. I would silence your phone and lock the door.

I am fortunate to have my own private pistol range 50 yards out my back door. I incorporate dry and live fire on my range by inserting a loaded mag without chambering a round. Then, I will do a dry fire drill for 2-5 minutes until I am really relaxed then chamber a round and do the drill live. This has been the best training for me and saves ammo. I can make 60 rounds last over an hour. On the cold days I have to dry fire only in the house, not nearly as fun, but I will often leave my gear on and walk outside and run one or two drills live fire in the cold.

Lately, my daughter has some sort of ESP/radar going on.  If I need more than about 5 minutes of private time, she senses it and immediately finds me.  Dry fire, working, sitting on the toilet, etc.

I like to DF after the wife is in bed and before she gets up. But I've videoed myself DF'ing and she starts talking to me. And I'm just like yeah....ah huh....yeah......etc. Clearly not really in the conversation but also probably not really as focused on what I'm doing as I should be. I'm not sure how you can tell them what you are doing needs all your focus to do it right.

On 3/27/2020 at 7:21 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I like to DF after the wife is in bed and before she gets up. But I've videoed myself DF'ing and she starts talking to me. And I'm just like yeah....ah huh....yeah......etc. Clearly not really in the conversation but also probably not really as focused on what I'm doing as I should be. I'm not sure how you can tell them what you are doing needs all your focus to do it right.

Consider it active training for matches.  Matches have all sorts of distractions going on, it's not just you, the timer and the targets.  Use the home distractions to get to the point of regardless of what's going on around you, it's just you, the timer and the targets.

2 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Consider it active training for matches.  Matches have all sorts of distractions going on, it's not just you, the timer and the targets.  Use the home distractions to get to the point of regardless of what's going on around you, it's just you, the timer and the targets.

100% agree, helps develop a strong match mentality. I've got four kids 10 and under...

Even ROs can be distracting out of the corner of your eye trying to catch your brass while shooting a stage. (please don't do that...I thought he'd caught a bullet frag one time, nope just a bored RO)

On 3/28/2020 at 3:46 PM, Ming the Merciless said:

Good point, it probably works out for my training. Doesn't work out when the wife is pissed because I don't remember anything she told me lol

Edited by Racinready300ex

Have a dedicated room also and Had it happen couple times over the years and 1: wear muffs 2: when they came 3 or more times and found it annoyed me,I had them set behind and made them watch or let them give me random starts on the timer.3: have also turned off the lights and practiced reloads in the dark or ambient light .. 

I find it very disrespectful when you ask for privacy for a short time and people just ignore your requests. Be it dry fire, tying flys, building a model or whatever it’s just rude. My wife used to interrupt me while trying to work on things around the house until it started happening to her at work. She complained to me about not being able to get her stuff done because of all the interruptions and I asked her how it felt. That was a little rough but I don’t think that they realize that they are doing it to you. With some people you have to make it hurt for them to Get it! Do it to them and see how they like it. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, ohsevenflhx said:

It seems like the hour I have designated to dry fire that the people in the house find it necessary to come in, come by, ask questions, have a problem with this or that. They aren't doing it on purpose.  I have a designated dry fire/gun room that nobody is interested in until I start dry firing.

Just curious but do the other people in your home actually know that you don't want to be disturbed?