Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best and quietest Case Prep Center?

Hi All,

With the extra time on my hands, I'd like to get reloading 223 sorted out so that I can shoot it more.  Not ultra precision rifle rounds, just blasting ammo.  I can do painstaking reloading, but for the blaster ammo I need to process brass way faster.  I'm looking at the Lyman and Frankford Arsenal case prep centers primarily.   The FA can trim brass, but I might be able to mount a WCT trimmer on a non-trimming FA model for cheaper.  The Lyman model has more stations and is cheaper, but I'd need to spend another $40 to get a WCT trimmer set up on it.   

What do you all recommend? Is there a model I'm overlooking or does anyone have experience with both?  Is one quieter than the others?    

Are you just looking for a trimmer? This is what I use https://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html

It trims, chamfurs and deburrs all in one step. You have to resize first. I have mine on an old blower motor from a heater with the shaft sticking out of a barstool (stop right there lol) and on top I have about a 2 foot by 18 inch pice of wood with wood around it so it holds 2 of those plastic shoe size boxes with the trimmer head in the middle. I wear those rubber dipped gloves for grip, take them out of the front bin, cut them and drop them in the back bin. If you want a picture send me your email. I don't know why it has to be so complicated posting pictures here. 

The easiest way to get that trimmer head going is to get a small bench grinder from harbor freight and a shaft coupler from eBay. It has to spin counterclockwise when looking at the opening. Some guys just put it in a drill but drills are loud. Believe it or not the cheap bench grinder is pretty quiet.