Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Slide Mounted Open steel gun

ezra650

I just got my new 8moa Burris FF3 mounted for open steel. I'm really surprised so far by the dot clarity and brightness. The Burris FF3 battery cap was a pain to put back on but I solved that issue. The battery retaining\positioning tabs on the sides of the battery housing push the battery and therefore the cap upward prevent the threads from meeting. Using the small screwdriver that came with the sight I bent\pushed them outward and voila!

The EGW mount was perfect. I did LIGHTLY file the mount with a triangular needle file to make installation easier. I would definitely try the mount first without filing. Basically I removed the coating from the mount and not even 100% of it. I'm using blue 242 loctite on the mount. I don't think it will need red but time will tell. 

Maybe I can even sneak into CO division using my rebranding sticker LOL

Well I'm very excited to get to a match if this COVID-19 panic dies down. For now it's practice, which is good cause I need it. 

Many thanks to @zzt for recommending this setup and his opinions\experiences with the varying red dots available today. 

image.png

If you have problem with the blue loctite, go to green as recommended by Dawson when necessary.  I have a rear sight that was over-filed by a gunsmith and is now "hand tight".  Hasn't moved with green loctite in several thousand rounds. Green will even wick into the dovetail after installation.

52 minutes ago, Demus319 said:

Have you thought of adding a thread barrel and comp?

That really isn't necessary for SCSA.  It all depends on how well your pistol handles light loads with a light spring.

I built a custom 1911 Open gun specifically for SCSA Open.  I built it to run the same major ammo I use for USPSA in my 2011 Open gun.  I was asked not to shoot major at two clubs, so I developed a good minor load.  My home club no longer allows plated or jacketed bullets on steel, so I fitted a new barrel to the Open gun.  Then I started developing loads for it.  I discovered that it handled sub-100 PF mouse fart 105gr loads with 100% reliability.  Recoil was essentially nonexistent, an muzzle rise was only slightly greater than with the Open load.  At those power levels it is absolutely viable in SCSA Open, because the dot is back before you leave the target you just shot at.

That being said I'll continue to use the comp'd barrel, because I have a boatload of ammo loaded up for it.  However, it is nice to know that i can switch barrels and use my poly coated ammo if I run out.  I don't even have to rezero when switching.  The two barrels print within 1/4" of the other at 15 yards.  It took quite a bit of time fitting the new barrel to do that, but it was worth it.

My wife shoots a Springfield 1911 9mm loaded with the Burris FireFire 3 with the dovetail mount. We had some problems with the factory supplied screws being to short and pulling the threads out of the dovetail insert after around 5,000 rounds. Bought some longer 6-48 screws and cut them down so the screws bottoms out in the dovetail insert, problem solved.

Edited by DIV7703

7 hours ago, DIV7703 said:

My wife shoots a Springfield 1911 9mm loaded with the Burris FireFire 3 with the dovetail mount. We had some problems with the factory supplied screws being to short and pulling the threads out of the dovetail insert after around 5,000 rounds. Bought some longer 6-48 screws and cut them down so the screws bottoms out in the dovetail insert, problem solved.

So your 2 screws that secure the Optic now extend until they touch the slide? Almost acting as a set screw as well? Or you just cut them longer to engage more threads on the EGW mount?

Might have to look into that. 

21 hours ago, zzt said:

I was asked not to shoot major at two clubs, so I developed a good minor load.  My home club no longer allows plated or jacketed bullets on steel, so I fitted a new barrel to the Open gun.

Please forgive the slight thread-jack, but I'm wondering if you can speak to whether either of these are becoming commonplace in a wider context at clubs within the tri-state area? New to the sport shooting scene, recently moved to NJ, and was looking forward to making it out to some clubs & matches in PA once I'm setup, was planning on shooting Open with 9mm major.

46 minutes ago, kamber said:

if you can speak to whether either of these are becoming commonplace.........

For USPSA there is no restriction.  For SCSA (Steel Challenge) there may be.  The MD at one SCSA club asked me not to shoot my 9mm major load, because of potential damage to the steel and the possibility of a ricochet.  My load is a 115 JHP at 1470fps.  However, another shooter uses 124 RN plated at a lower velocity and the MD has no problem with that.  Some clubs have a 1250fps limit for steel, although none of the clubs I shoot at do.

I have major and minor loads all worked out, so it presents no problem for me.  I actually prefer minor in the 140PF range for steel.

8 hours ago, zzt said:

For USPSA there is no restriction.  For SCSA (Steel Challenge) there may be.  The MD at one SCSA club asked me not to shoot my 9mm major load, because of potential damage to the steel and the possibility of a ricochet.  My load is a 115 JHP at 1470fps.  However, another shooter uses 124 RN plated at a lower velocity and the MD has no problem with that.  Some clubs have a 1250fps limit for steel, although none of the clubs I shoot at do.

I have major and minor loads all worked out, so it presents no problem for me.  I actually prefer minor in the 140PF range for steel.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Edited by kamber

On 3/24/2020 at 10:44 PM, ezra650 said:

So your 2 screws that secure the Optic now extend until they touch the slide? Almost acting as a set screw as well? Or you just cut them longer to engage more threads on the EGW mount?

Might have to look into that. 

ezra650, the longer screw do not touch the slide.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Peterock said:

Fairly new to SCSA but I’m curious why the dovetail mount over something like the Aimtech optics mount that replaces one grip panel and puts the RDS above the slide?

Because it doesn't alter the feel of the gun.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Because it doesn't alter the feel of the gun.

I could see that but won’t you be competing with people who’s dot won’t be moving around as much?  I’ve only shot CO in USPSA/IDPA and have never shot a true frame mounted Open gun so I’m not sure how much of a difference there actually is TBH.

1 hour ago, Peterock said:

I could see that but won’t you be competing with people who’s dot won’t be moving around as much?  I’ve only shot CO in USPSA/IDPA and have never shot a true frame mounted Open gun so I’m not sure how much of a difference there actually is TBH.

There is none that I can discern.  I shoot frame mounted dots, dovetail mounted dots and directly attached dots.  The only difference is how high above the bore the dot is.  All of my Open guns wear frame mounted dots of the same brand.  I did that for two reasons.  First, the sight is subjected to considerably less stress.  Second, I can use the guns interchangeably because the dots are always in the same spot relative to the bore.  

Edited by zzt

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, zzt said:

There is none that I can discern.  I shoot frame mounted dots, dovetail mounted dots and directly attached dots.  The only difference is how high above the bore the dot is.  All of my Open guns wear frame mounted dots of the same brand.  I did that for two reasons.  First, the sight is subjected to considerably less stress.  Second, I can use the guns interchangeably because the dots are always in the same spot relative to the bore.  

Thats what I ended up deciding as well. Everything else I shoot is stationary/frame mounted CMOREs so actually ended up ditching this Burris. Great little sight though.

My gun is with JPL now and should be done this month it sounds like.

20200611_171305[1].jpg