Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker - Same side as shooting hand?

SlowRunner

I just recently bought a STI 2011 Open gun that I am going to be using in USPSA.  I shoot right handed and the gun has a side mounted C-More with a slide racker that is on the left side of the gun which is what you would expect for a right handed shooter. 

My question is kind of silly, but do any of you run the slide racker on the right side while shooting right handed?

I want to be able to remove the slide from the gun without removing the mount for the C-More which always has some thread locker compound on the screws.  Yes I can just try it, but I am hoping to hear if there are any problems which are not obvious that you learn only from experience.

I appreciate any shared thoughts.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Shooters-Connection-Sidewinder-Slide-Racker-Finished-P544.aspx

This is the racker that I run on the left side of my gun.  Comes out easy for when I want to take the slide off the gun.

You could train yourself with what you have on the right side of the gun.  Like I said above, I've seen people run rackers on both sides.

It comes down to personal preference. If you want to be able to remove slide without disassembly (as long as you don't have a double sided mount) then go right side. If you prefer it propped up for table starts then go left side. My guns have a ball detent which allows for instant removal and ambidextrous use. I like both sides actually but settled on the left side for me. 

I have the same shooters connection slide racker like aandabooks have on my TSO and czechmate mounted on the left side. It doesn’t take too much time to loosen the set screw for removal of the racker. It really props up the gun for those pesky table starts as Posvar mentioned.

Try them on both sides and see which side is more comfortable for you.

I mostly don't run a slide racker, because it adds weight.  When I had guns that had them, I ran them on the right side so I could remove the slide when cleaning without removing the racker.  Left, right made no difference to me.

My ball detent racker adds 12 grams (0.4 oz) of weight to a 60 oz gun.  Irrelevant.  

I have used rackers on both right and left sides, with ball detents and with set screws.  As a right handed shooter, I prefer it on the left side. Not only do I like it better for table starts and unloaded starts, I find it easier to clear malfunctions.  

I like ball detents A LOT more than set screws

47 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Has anyone added the ball detention mechanism to a Glock open gun?

Screwing and unscrewing, and re-loctiting gets old.

Springer precision sells back plates with the racker as part of it for GLOCKs super easy no locktite required