Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handling Recoil Suggestions

Flea

Hopefully the attached slo mo video link of me shooting works. I'm shooting a 9mm 4.25" 1911 with either 115gr or 124gr ammo at an indoor range. If you put your mouse right on top of my   front sight before each shot (I did two slow fire shots) you will see after I break the shot, the muzzle rises but doesn't really return to its original position pre the shot. Any suggestions on what causes that and how to fix it. I'm a pretty new shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8xkf1ekodk&feature=youtu.be

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

As jack says we need to see the shooting from the left hand side. From what it looks like so far your support hand is the weak link.

Sorry but don't have film from the other side. What do you see that makes you think it's a weak hand issue?

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd love to see that again from the other side - see how you're

holding your weak hand.

How much pressure are you applying with your weak hand ?

I'd say I'm doing a typical thumbs forward grip with the weak hand...others may be to differ. I think I'm gripping tightly. I'm still figuring out the whole grip pressure thing. How much? Nut cracker like Mike Seeklander or elbows up a bit and torquing the hands inward a la Ron Avery...etc.

1 hour ago, Flea said:

Sorry but don't have film from the other side. What do you see that makes you think it's a weak hand issue?

So that was the one and only opportunity to video your shooting? BS.... Get back on the range and capture the footage needed to diagnose your issues. I am not going to provide suggestions on fixing issues without proper evidence of what is going on. Without that it’s just a guessing game that causes confusion and wastes people’s time.  

9 hours ago, Flea said:

First, it’s a weak hand issue 90% of the time.

Second, you filmed from the one angle that shows us nothing of what the weak hand is doing. 

9 hours ago, Flea said:

I think I'm gripping tightly. I'm still figuring out the whole grip pressure thing.

Regarding the weak hand, coming from a novice? Harder.

If you were shaking someone’s hand, you need them to be cringing. 

If your forearm isn’t burning from the force exerted, you’re leaving performance on the table.

Cha-lee is good. Very, very good. (See below) And he grips the gun harder than almost anyone. Get him a video and let him help:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

So that was the one and only opportunity to video your shooting? BS.... Get back on the range and capture the footage needed to diagnose your issues. I am not going to provide suggestions on fixing issues without proper evidence of what is going on. Without that it’s just a guessing game that causes confusion and wastes people’s time.  

Wasn't suggesting I couldn't get the film. I'll get some footage once there is a range open so I can shoot. Thanks for the help.

22 hours ago, Flea said:

If you put your mouse right on top of my   front sight before each shot (I did two slow fire shots) you will see after I break the shot, the muzzle rises but doesn't really return to its original position pre the shot. Any suggestions on what causes that and how to fix it. I'm a pretty new shooter.

I'm sure there are little tweaks here or there that can make a difference but a lot of that is personal, as in what works for me may not be best for you. 

the real answer is practice, like lots of it, you need to learn how different ways you hold and grip the gun change the way it recoils and returns, and affects your trigger control.  doing a bunch of doubles or bill drills would be a good place to start.