Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Super GP 100 First Range Trip

IVC

The new Super GP 100 has been sitting in my safe for a while now and I finally took it out to the range yesterday, so just wanted to share a few impressions.

I made a few standard upgrades, Hogue big butt grip (goncalo, checkered, finger grooves) and Wolff springs with 9lb hammer and 8lb trigger return springs. There were no issues with ignition and the new grip felt way better than the original, especially because of the shelf for the support-hand pinkie.The ammo was my usual revo loads (Federal brass, N320 3.2 gn, .356 BB 150, 1.120 OAL) with Federal GM100 primers. 

The ammo was leftovers from a match, already in moonclips, TKC 0.040 stainless. It fits perfectly in GP 100 and reloading was quite smooth. I didn't do any timed reloads (was just sighting it in), only testing by feel how the rounds go in. Even though it says on the website "slight chamfer," there was no sticking to the sides and it felt quite slick. I might add extra chamfer later if I notice any issues while practicing on the timer. My guess is that the steel cylinder of GP 100 is more forgiving than the titanium of 929 when it comes to slight imperfections in chamfering. 

Moonclips for 929 fit perfectly - besides having the same geometry as 929, the cylinder is cut such that 929 moonclips work. When compared on top of each other, TKC have slightly narrower center opening than the Ruger moonclips (very, very close, though), but no issues. GP 100's cylinder has ample room in the middle. Of course, RS moonclips with their large hole were no problem. There was no issue with using the thickest, 0.040 TKC moonclips. So, both moonclips and DAA Race Master inserts for N-Frames work perfectly with GP 100. 

Sighting the gun in was a bit of a problem. At 15 yards off the bench and using a small rifle target with 5 bullseyes, I got a beautiful sub-inch group, but at the wrong bullseye - I was shooting the top left one and getting the group in the center one. This was the factory sights setting. Vertical adjustment was a breeze and I set it up the way I like it - POI at the location of the top of the blade. However, to move the POI to the left I ended up moving the rear blade all the way to the limit of its movement and I was almost there. Worked well on closer targets, but shooting at 50+ yard steel I had to use a slight bias to the left to get the hits. This is frustrating. The front sight seems to be centered on the top, so I'm not sure where the offset is coming from. Also, who in the world thought it would be a good idea to use the "white Glock outline" on the rear sight of a competition gun? It's distracting and provides too many additional edges when shooting at speed. 

Accuracy with my loads was pretty good, nothing I would need or want to change. Very close groups at 15 yards and no issues to 55+ yards which I use as my standard benchmark. 

So, it was mostly all good, particularly that all my auxiliary gear for 929 works with GP 100. The rear sight has the white outline which must go - I can paint it, or I might choose to replace it. The sighting in was a concern because of the way off-center alignment. Not sure whether this is normal or I should send it back to Ruger. I do have a Glock that is set up with the rear sight way off, but it's a Glock... 

Finally, anyone has any recommendation for the rear sight? 

56 minutes ago, IVC said:

... "white Glock outline" on the rear sight ...

My old (late 80s) GP100 has the white outline. Or had: it is pretty much faded because I haven't been cleaning the sight.....

So,

- front sight is straight

- rear sight is adjusted all the way to one side, and it isn''t enough.

? Is the whole rear sight assembly straight on the frame?

? Is the barrel on straight?

The way to see if the barrel is straight in the frame is to put a straightedge along the sides of the top strap and see if it's the same distance from the front end of the barrel on both sides. It will be pretty obvious if it's off one way or the other.

Edited by Toolguy