Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tested several bullets /powders for pcc

3 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

With a full powder charge, the burning starts at the base of the powder column and burns more slowly.  If the powder lies flat there would be more powder exposed to the air in the case, and it burns much quicker.  More of an explosion than a controlled burn.

Correct

I've talked to the Ballisticians at Alliant and Accurate about the possibility of 'detonation' with small charges in shotshells and pistol calibers.  I was told it was a myth.  Some powders are fill and position sensitive.  That can lead to large velocity spreads, but not to detonation.  I'll take the experts at the powder manufacturers at their word.

Edited by zzt
20 minutes ago, zzt said:

I've talked to the Ballisticians at Alliant and Accurate about the possibility of 'detonation' with small charges in shotshells and pistol calibers.  I was told it was a myth.  Some powders are fill and position sensitive.  That can lead to large velocity spreads, but not to detonation.  I'll take the experts at the powder manufacturers at their word.

bulls#!t!

Had two friends shooting Tightgroup  out of S@W revolvers. Blew the top of the frames off and the top cylinders.

I was there for one of them. Both were loading as low as they could go.

Up to you. Just remember there is an RO next to you.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I've also had a friend blow up a 3rd party Glock barrel and slide.  He called the barrel manufacturer and was told it was probably an undercharge.

If you talk to enough people, you'll get all kinds of answers.  All I can say is it has happened.

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag
29 minutes ago, Joe D said:

I load 2.7 gr of Clays/Clay Dot with a 147 gr plated bullet. Runs around a 137pf. Same thing with a jacketed bullet. OAL 1.140"

Good load. Nice flaky high volume power with a deep seated 147 gr. bullet. No problem.

11 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

According to the VV reloading data the minimum charge for what you're shooting is somewhere between 5.4 to 5.9 grains of N350.  Perhaps you should up the charge weight.

I'm no reloading expert, but could you be getting the occasional detonation?  I know a friend blew up a barrel with an undercharge.

I dont load that powder for PCC anymore.   I run a hotter charge of Power Pistol or BE-86.    People say a brake won't work on a 16" 9mm because there isnt enough gas, but the visible flames in each port when running Power Pistol say otherwise.