Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting the most out of your optic

Soderquist

I have been using Romeo 1 optic because of affordability. Like everybody I clean my optic lens after each session of shooting to get as much brightness as possible. But it dawned on me that I never clean the light omitting optic laser surface itself. I would think that this surface gets gunshot residue on it like the rest of the gun and I would think that the residue would dim the light output. Then I wondered if touching that surface would damage or knock it out of alignment. I can find nothing in the manual so I haven't tried it yet. Anybody else tried cleaning this surface?     

Anyone tried air for the diode? Granted it's a bit different, but I'll only clean camera sensors (inside the body once the lens is removed) with a special kit that amounts to small bursts of air from something like a blood pressure cuff pump with inflation needle on the end of it. Depending how recessed the emitter is i wonder if a cleaning solution and swab could leave more residue?  Although alcohol swabs followed by air could be a great compromise.  

Will follow closely to see what the consensus is and if anyone is able to reach out to a manufacturer who actually has an answer?

13 hours ago, lwink said:

Anyone tried air for the diode? Granted it's a bit different, but I'll only clean camera sensors (inside the body once the lens is removed) with a special kit that amounts to small bursts of air from something like a blood pressure cuff pump with inflation needle on the end of it. Depending how recessed the emitter is i wonder if a cleaning solution and swab could leave more residue?  Although alcohol swabs followed by air could be a great compromise.  

Will follow closely to see what the consensus is and if anyone is able to reach out to a manufacturer who actually has an answer?

I stopped using air for any optics after I blew some crap behind a lens where it can't be reached.

54 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

I stopped using air for any optics after I blew some crap behind a lens where it can't be reached.

Interesting, didn't think that would be possible.  Was this compressed air (canned or from a compressor)? 

5 hours ago, lwink said:

Interesting, didn't think that would be possible.  Was this compressed air (canned or from a compressor)? 

I don't recall ... it could have been either method since I have both on my workbench.

• 2 months later...

Walmart sells these "Zeiss" prepackaged "wet wipes" for eyeglasses.

They are just barely damp, and are great for cleaning optics, glasses, etc. They are also pretty dirt cheap, a couple bucks for a box.

Worth considering.