Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A great big THANK YOU to the folks who put on/worked/R.O.ed/fixed, supported the 2020 SMM3-G Match!!! It was a great match, the stages were fantastic, the weather great! I had a blast! They put on a great match while also being very mindful of today's challenges! 

I hope the people who shot the new 2-gun division a speedy recovery from what ever malady makes a 3-gunner atrophy and weaken, and I know there will soon be a cure....hang in there!

A big shout out to Federal Premium ammunition who put lots and lots of certificates for cases of ammo on the prize table....who knew that prize would be better than EXXON stock😁, and of course the penultimate THANK YOU to Frank and the guys at Patriot Ordnance Factory, the main match sponsor!!!!

I am getting weaker as I didn't have to lug all that shotgun gear and ammo around! 2-gun is liberating.

But Kurt and I agree on one thing that was a Great match and a big thanks to the staff and sponsors.  Great stages, smooth management and as always a bountiful prize table. 

We have been working feverishly in our labs to counter the 2-Gun infection and have come up with a very effective therapeutic system to help as we struggle to find a vaccine. It consists of a set of dumbbells shaped like shotgun shells, to strengthen the upper body. A set of ankle weights filled with buckshot to strengthen weakening legs. A set of decals that makes your scope appear to be iron sights when you look through it (fits most LPVS except for really cheap ones cause to see through some of those is pretty "tough"). A bottle of male enhancement pills and a picture of He-Man with a shotgun in his hands, his rifle slung....iron sighted of course, his pistol hot and holstered, with over 50 rounds of shotgun ammo in all sorts of carriers for insparation. 

Edited by kurtm

2 minutes ago, kurtm said:

We have been working feverishly in our labs to counter the 2-Gun infection and have come up with a very effective therapeutic system to help as we struggle to find a vaccine. It consists of a set of dumbbells shaped like shotgun shells, to strengthen the upper body. A set of ankle weights filled with buckshot to strengthen weakening legs. A set of decals that makes your scope appear to be iron sights when you look through it (fits most LPVS except for really cheap ones cause to see through some of those is pretty "tough"). A bottle of male enhancement pills and a picture of He-Man with a shotgun in his hands, his rifle slung....iron sighted of course, his pistol hot and holstered, with over 50 rounds of shotgun ammo in all sorts of carriers for insparation. 

👍

6 minutes ago, kurtm said:

Or we could just avoid having stupid shotgun stages...….

On 3/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, kellyn said:

Or we could just avoid having stupid shotgun stages...….

You nailed this one Kelly!  I like shotgun but not the carnival-esque stages...However, I must say this year's SMM3G did not have much of that flavor, just bug hunt on the buckshot stage.

I shot the 2-gun division and yep, it was fun to shoot plates & poppers with pistol (when I didn't blow by targets).  However,  I would go back to 3 gun next year, just for buckshots and slugs :).  Loved the rifle long range shots - 300 + 500 yds mixed in with short range 80-200 yds stages were really fun to shoot.

Lastly, thank you SMM3G staff and sponsors! Without you guys, a great match would be impossible to conduct!

Edited by PacMan

At 67 I'm pretty beat up from old injuries of an adventurous misspent youth so the 2-gun division lets me participate somewhat comfortably. Placed 126th. 

CRO'd stage 10. 

Want to thank everyone for coming out. 2 and 3-gunners ain't scared of nuthin'. 

On 3/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, mesa3gunner said:

At 67 I'm pretty beat up from old injuries of an adventurous misspent youth so the 2-gun division lets me participate somewhat comfortably. Placed 126th. 

CRO'd stage 10. 

Want to thank everyone for coming out. 2 and 3-gunners ain't scared of nuthin'. 

You guys did great Mark, it was an awesome match. 

Had a load of fun at the match. The new format where we pre-loaded and made everyone hot before they came to the line seemed to not only save time but gave the match momentum and energy. I think people shot better and enjoyed the match more.  

1 hour ago, mesa3gunner said:

Had a load of fun at the match. The new format where we pre-loaded and made everyone hot before they came to the line seemed to not only save time but gave the match momentum and energy. I think people shot better and enjoyed the match more.  

Do you mean that rifle and pistol mags were inserted into weapons before stepping to the line?

All firearms were loaded to capacity with a round in the chamber, safety on. Then we went to the line and were ready to go. Very safe and as far as I know there were no issues with this process. 

5 hours ago, Don_B said:

All firearms were loaded to capacity with a round in the chamber, safety on. Then we went to the line and were ready to go. Very safe and as far as I know there were no issues with this process. 

I'm sorry, just trying to understand as that is pretty radically different from every match ever. Did this loading occur at a preload station and the weapons stayed there? Or all weapons were hot all the time, in cases, carts, slung etc? Thanks!

No need to apologize. 

It happened only in a preload area with a RO right there. Once you were loaded and ready you had to stay at the preload area. No one was allowed to walk around with loaded firearms until the RO called you up to the stage. 

55 minutes ago, Don_B said:

No need to apologize. 

It happened only in a preload area with a RO right there. Once you were loaded and ready you had to stay at the preload area. No one was allowed to walk around with loaded firearms until the RO called you up to the stage. 

To amplify, we only pre-loaded the on-deck shooter, so the in-the-hole shooter could still walk the stage.

We ran our local matches this way for a couple of months in the run-up to SMM3G. It saves a BUNCH of time, and we have had zero safety issues. As a competitor I like it because I have more time to make ready and be confident I didn't forget anything (chambering a round, turning on my dot etc.) before I walk to the start position. Honestly, I don't know why we didn't think of it years ago.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

3 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

To amplify, we only pre-loaded the on-deck shooter, so the in-the-hole shooter could still walk the stage.

We ran our local matches this way for a couple of months in the run-up to SMM3G. It saves a BUNCH of time, and we have had zero safety issues. As a competitor I like it because I have more time to make ready and be confident I didn't forget anything (chambering a round, turning on my dot etc.) before I walk to the start position. Honestly, I don't know why we didn't think of it years ago.

What we normally called "Big Boys Rules"...Worked great and kept things moving right along.  The most time saving part if you didn't notice -  This process  prevented shooter comes up to the line, sight in/turn dot on, blah blah, and then slowly make ready, then look through sights again unless RO yells "Are you ready?" 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:18 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

I thought it really made the match flow smoothly - awesome match this year. Can't wait for next year.  

Regarding fully pre-loading the on deck shooter. I think this will result in one fewer shooter being available to reset the stage. So the squad size or staffing need to be bumped up by one to compensate. But if that is accounted for, then yeah I could see it saving huge time in a match.

On 4/6/2020 at 12:38 PM, adamge said:

Regarding fully pre-loading the on deck shooter. I think this will result in one fewer shooter being available to reset the stage. So the squad size or staffing need to be bumped up by one to compensate. But if that is accounted for, then yeah I could see it saving huge time in a match.

Most big matches you have 13-16 shooters per squad. Also the stages have a fixed R.O. and scorekeeper. Would be just adding an extra staff person to a stage. So you have plenty of people to reset. I have run some smaller matches by getting the on deck shooter ready before walking him/her to the R.O. it makes a big difference both for the match and shooter.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:38 AM, adamge said:

Previously they still had the on-deck shooter preloading the shotgun, so that shooter wasn't available to reset the stage.  So instead of pre-loading the shotgun only, you'd preload the other guns as well.  It was definitely a win-win situation.   My squad only had 9 shooters on it and we still moved through stages very quickly. I never felt like we didn't have enough people available to reset - but everyone on my squad worked hard.