Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New here

Austin81

• 1 month later...

For a few hundred rounds a month in multiple calibers as Dillon 550 is perfect.  Caliber change over is quick and simple.  You can easily load 400 rounds per hour once you get the hang of the press and can get a rhythm going between inserting the shell case, placing the bullet and pulling the handle.  I loaded on one for years (9mm & .45 acp) before upgrading to a used 1050, but I now load/shoot several thousand rounds per month, all in in 9mm.  Used 550's seem to come up for sale every so often and are generally very reasonably priced.  Dillon honors the no BS lifetime warranty no matter whether you bought new from them, or used and/or abused from someone else.

11 minutes ago, Austin81 said:

Thanks so much I was just checking it out it seems like a good start. And easier to use then the 750. Or is it worth spending the extra money now for 750 are caliber changes as easy. Cause for now I plan on reloading 223, 308 and 300 win mag.  Waiting on pistol permit and then will be reloading 9mm

If you KNOW you are never going to up your numbers, or get into competition and need tons of pistol ammo then I would stay with the 550. If you even THINK you might, get as much press as you can afford. If casefeeder and bulletfeeder are even a dream to have then get at least a 750.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:58 AM, m700 said:

How much money do you have to spend on this? (personal but important)

having just bought a dillon 750...take whatever costs you have in mind and double it...well that's what happened with me lol

1 minute ago, Austin81 said:

Ok thanks. Idk I'm on the fence with competition my buddy invited me to go shoot three gun so one never knows. Lol. 

Most people who go to the trouble of joining a forum like this, will quickly get addicted to shooting matches.  3gun is kinda harsh to start with, but it does let you shoot more guns.  My first press was a 650 with no prior reloading experience.  I'd say go for the 750 or a used 650 with case feeders.  Just have a very seasoned reloader set it up and guide you through a few hundred rounds.  

Lol. He said I could use his equipment really nice of him. Ok thanks I just worry about switching back and fourth between calibers. Guess I just need to get enough brass so I don't switch as often. 

Thanks for the advice