Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Tactical scope mount

Julien Boit

I  just found out in an old Guns and Ammo the wilson scope mount .

It allows the mount of a scope on the receiver and a peep sight under it.

I thought about it : Would a 3-gunner mount a scope on the top of it and a red dot sight under it instead of the peep sight ?

Anyone tought about it before me ?

I guess so !

DVC

Julien

Hi Julien,

I've tried that setup on an FAL and it's pretty marginal at best.  You just don't get the field of view you really need for the close in stuff.  If you had your scope up high enough to get a good view under it, it would start adversely affecting the trajectory - putting you at a serious disadvantage past 200 meters or so.  You really need that flat trajectory for three gun.  Kentucky elevation works, but it's slower and less reliable.

I'm not saying it's not workable - it does work.  But, clamping your close-in scope off the side of the main scope really seems to be the superior solution.  

Regards,

E

I think I saw somewhere a few years ago some kind of an open sight that took place right on the scope.

The rear sight on the eyepiece, the front sight on the objective.

Might be fast and effective with a front fiber optic and a rear V-type (Ashley).

Anybody tried this setup ?

Try this one on for size. Mount an Optima 2000 (a Docter would also be a great choice) right on the scope tube (behind turrets). It doesn't have to vertical, mine is 45 degrees to the right. It's real fast, just tilt your head a fraction and the dot is there. I think it is easier to acquire than the tube type dot sights other folk are using on open rifles. JP Enterprises makes a mount for the Optima that fits 1" diameter scopes.

IMHO a red dot is the fastest close-in sight for an open IPSC rifle. Unless of course, you are Bennie Coolie or Michael Voigt. In which case, box stock AR iron sights, or a real low power variable scope is the hot ticket for the close stuff. Far too! for these guys ;~)

You don't want any sight to be to far away from the axis of the bore, particularly your main sight.  It effects zeros.  The closer the sight to the bore the better - that way the bullet path does not have to rise so much to meet the aiming point.  That Wilson mount really puts the scope high up.

On my open guns I have my dot (Aimpoint) mounted close to the bore on the handguard at 2 o'clock.

Jerome,  JP mounts their circular pistol sights on top of  ACOG scopes for a close range "blaster" sight.  It's pretty cool for close shots but you have to hold high because the sight is so high off the bore.  I have not seen a fiber optic/Ashley type set up.  If something like that could be mounted to a handguard, it might make for a good hoser sight for limited guns.

what about a Docter/Optima mounted on the gas block or on the handguard and a see thru scope mount for the main sights ?

KellyN, I talked about the wilson because i thought the eight wouldn't be a problem for the scope as it's mainly used for long shots, right ?

I'm not familiar at all with the rifle divisions, so I'm asking to big dogs !

DVC

Julien

:)  

The height will have more effect for the longer shots.  The higher the line of sight the higher the bullet has to climb to reach it.   I don't like high scopes for guns being shot at unknown distances - unlike highpower or silhouette where you always know the zero.

I rely mostly on the scope not the dot, the last time I shot open (2001 Nationals), I used the dot for TWO shots and the scope for all the rest.  I tend to use the scope past 25 yards.

The gas block is a bit far out.   I can't think of a see-through system that would work.  The problem with a see-thru is that the mount and scope would obstruct your view as you transition from target to target - too much stuff to look at.  Remember most big-time open 3 gunners rely on one sight and one sight only: the low-powered variable.  get one of those and practice a lot!