Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ S2 Orange CGW upgrade parts

chgofirefighter

Ordered the following upgrade parts from CGW, S2 reach reduction kit, HS-1200 11.5 hammer spring, Shadow 85 extended firing pin, Floating trigger pin and reduced power trigger return spring.  I installed the new trigger, and basically all the new upgrade springs.  I still have a few more parts to install but I'm working on it~ I am thinking about getting the adjustable sear too but I haven't decided yet. The disconnector needs to be filed down and I don't feel comfortable doing so.  So this is a work in progress~   

In regards to polishing the internals what polishing compound is recommended? Flitz, Mothers, etc?  Also, with so much information on YouTube and that information at times varies greatly which gets confusing what internal parts should be polished? Some people file/clean up the rails but a friend is telling me that polishing the rails isn't truly needed due to the fact that the rails/internals will get broken in once you start firing the pistol...  So what's the verdict on this?  

Lastly, I came across some 3M Micro-Polishing pads that comes with various grit.... Yay or nay? To be honest I was a bit concerned about taking the S2 apart, but it was a relatively easy process to do.  Grant it that I have not taken the complete firearm totally apart "yet" but installing the springs, new trigger, etc was pretty simple... Normally, I have a local gunsmith do most of the work but instead of paying someone else to do the job, I'm trying to learn to do things on my own as well... Personally, I want to do things right so a lil guidance, assistance is greatly appreciated!~ 

Thanks in advance~ 

Edited by chgofirefighter
typo's

IMHO polishing with the CZ's really depends on what your trigger is like now, as compared to what you're looking for..? I've had quite a few, and some of them benefited from polishing certain things, while some of them were plenty awesome after just shooting a bunch of rounds or a bunch of dry fire; depends on the gun. I would NOT polish the rails, they'll polish themselves just fine, I've never understood why people would spend any time/energy on the rails as there's probably more potential for messing things up by removing material that doesn't need to be removed more than anything else.

You can use whatever you want to polish, Flitz works fine, 400/600/1200 grit works better, just know what you're polishing and why before you go at it. The outsides of the trigger-bar that slides along the frame is what usually yields the easiest returns as far as improving the double-action, so I would start there and sometimes that, and a 1000rds and/or dry fire, is all it takes if you've already got an upgraded hammer and shorter take-up disconnector (which with an Orange you've already got).

You can go further, way further if you like, but honestly some of the stuff many people seem to put a bunch of time into doesn't really do much, it's really all about knowing how the parts interact (the "why"), you don't need to polish up everything for no reason. Most of the "good stuff" that actually yields results is found on the trigger-bar; here is an old thread from David the founder of CGW from a while back that IMO is much more useful than the "Professor Atlas thread" found on here, checking it out is worth the time and it pretty much spells out usually all it takes to get your double-action smooth and down to 6.5lbs or lower using the CGW 11.5lb hammer spring: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

Edited by ck1
added link

If only someone would sell trigger bars in a high state of polish or with a finish similar to the triggers that come on the Shadows already.   Then you could just drop it in and see a huge difference.

On both of my S2 Oranges, a 12lb spring and extended FP with reduced power FPS from CZC were enough for me to be satisfied with the trigger.

From looking at the hammer hooks and sear surface they seem to be highly polished already.  My only gripe, and it is a tiny, tiny one is that for some reason they use the narrowed race hammer instead of the wide one.

Edited by FALAR

2 hours ago, FALAR said:

If only someone would sell trigger bars in a high state of polish or with a finish similar to the triggers that come on the Shadows already.   Then you could just drop it in and see a huge difference.

On both of my S2 Oranges, a 12lb spring and extended FP with reduced power FPS from CZC were enough for me to be satisfied with the trigger.

From looking at the hammer hooks and sear surface they seem to be highly polished already.  My only gripe, and it is a tiny, tiny one is that for some reason they use the narrowed race hammer instead of the wide one.

Yeah, a drop-in pre-polished trigger bar would be pretty cool indeed... seems everybody already knows the CZ competition hammer or CGW race hammer fix up the SA-pull a bunch, but slicking up the DA-pull through polishing can be a PIA sometimes (getting into that "nook" around where the disconnector pushes/rides isn't easy).

I don't think wide vs narrower hammer matters much other than aesthetics when looking at the back of the gun (but I could be missing something because I have noticed that pretty much every nice CZ trigger job I've ever felt has used the narrower hammer).

That said, I DO kind of wish there was a hammer option out there that offered "wider hammer hooks" for actually more engagement... I know it might sound a little crazy, but my SA-pull while as crisp as any I've come across on a CZ, might be a wee bit too light at 1.75-2lbs lol.

Over the years I've kind of noticed that some of the best 1911/2011 triggers I've ever felt actually measured out a lot heavier than they felt: like a trigger you'd swear was 1.5-2lbs because it was so super-crisp actually weighing 2+ to 3ish. This is usually just a product of dialed-in hammer and sear engagement on a 1911/2011, and a lot of good 'smiths often "rough up" the engagment to make it seem crisper. But with CZ's, there's the hammer-camming variable that comes into play, and usually once the hammer hooks and sear are in a state where there's little-to-no positive engagement (hammer-camming), the SA-pull is sitting around 2lbs and there's not a lot of material to work with... I wonder if there was more engagement surface to work with on the CZ's if it would be possible to actually make the triggers feel more crisp and feel as light, while actually pulling heavier in the same way the 1911/2011 voodoo works? 

23 hours ago, ck1 said:

IMHO polishing with the CZ's really depends on what your trigger is like now, as compared to what you're looking for..? I've had quite a few, and some of them benefited from polishing certain things, while some of them were plenty awesome after just shooting a bunch of rounds or a bunch of dry fire; depends on the gun. I would NOT polish the rails, they'll polish themselves just fine, I've never understood why people would spend any time/energy on the rails as there's probably more potential for messing things up by removing material that doesn't need to be removed more than anything else.

You can use whatever you want to polish, Flitz works fine, 400/600/1200 grit works better, just know what you're polishing and why before you go at it. The outsides of the trigger-bar that slides along the frame is what usually yields the easiest returns as far as improving the double-action, so I would start there and sometimes that, and a 1000rds and/or dry fire, is all it takes if you've already got an upgraded hammer and shorter take-up disconnector (which with an Orange you've already got).

You can go further, way further if you like, but honestly some of the stuff many people seem to put a bunch of time into doesn't really do much, it's really all about knowing how the parts interact (the "why"), you don't need to polish up everything for no reason. Most of the "good stuff" that actually yields results is found on the trigger-bar; here is an old thread from David the founder of CGW from a while back that IMO is much more useful than the "Professor Atlas thread" found on here, checking it out is worth the time and it pretty much spells out usually all it takes to get your double-action smooth and down to 6.5lbs or lower using the CGW 11.5lb hammer spring: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

Thank you CK1~ 

4 hours ago, Joedirt199 said:

Sounds like cz customs already put a short reset in the orange. Maybe just some polishing of parts and spring swap would be needed. 

all S2's orange have a very short reset...

On 3/25/2020 at 8:28 AM, Joedirt199 said:

Sounds like cz customs already put a short reset in the orange. Maybe just some polishing of parts and spring swap would be needed. 

The S2 Orange is made by CZ-UB but yes, it comes with the same short reset disconnector CZC uses.