Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Q5 SF Trigger mod to remove the creep

DBlue

I just bought a new Q5 SF last week...I love the gun but was not thrilled with the trigger. I polished the trigger bar and the striker plunger and installed the Sprinco spring kit and it lowered the pull weight but I could not stand the amount of creep in it. Today I was searching the web and found this link to a mod to adjust the amount of creep in the trigger...I did this mod to mine today and it works awesome....I've got the trigger adjusted with no creep, just a clean light break....I absolutely love this gun now.....:)

Maybe some people already know about this mod but here's the link to it :

https://lanzerbot.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/ppq-adjustable-creep-conversion-guide/

Also. Most frequent place I see guys leaving grit in the trigger? The metal bushing pinned into the right side of the sear housing rubs on the top of the trigger bar, under spring pressure.

Always grease here.

Polish these spots while you have the trigger bar out.

Hmm, the only real amount of grit I experienced was from the plunger spring. I even sent my SF back to Walther because it was so s#!tty. When I got it back, it felt the same. I think I used a small spring from an M&P to replace the plunger spring. Then it was smooth as silk. I think the stock spring was binding.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, himurax13 said:

Hmm, the only real amount of grit I experienced was from the plunger spring. I even sent my SF back to Walther because it was so s#!tty. When I got it back, it felt the same. I think I used a small spring from an M&P to replace the plunger spring. Then it was smooth as silk. I think the stock spring was binding.

The sprinco kit includes reduced power trigger and striker block (plunger) springs. Polishing the plunger, trigger bar, and the plunger hole in the slide were the first things he did.

He gave me the gun complaining about a very noticeable rough spot in the trigger. The kind that you only feel with a slow, smooth pull when shooting 25yd groups. It was definitely there. The first thing I did was remove the plunger and reassemble the gun. No change.

He hadn’t polished the area highlighted by the yellow arrow above. The striker or the striker hook in the frame, nor the sear surfaces. I did those while installing the setscrew and it’s as smooth as glass now.

Pull weight did drop perhaps 3-4 ounces, but smoothing thee trigger out? That’s what he wanted me to do.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I did these mods this weekend, both the polishing of the trigger bar and the metal bushing that rides it as well as installed a set screw for adjusting the creep away. 

I was blown away by the results. My apex trigger was not bad before, but it was really held back by the amount of creep after the "wall". Now it got really really good, I left just a smidge of creep for safety. Such a clean, crisp break! And it still passes a drop test, as well as a good blow with the rubber hammer. 

Thank you, DBlue and MemphisMechanic!

Edited by mrd

8 hours ago, mrd said:

And it still passes a drop test, as well as a good blow with the rubber hammer. 

Thank you, DBlue and MemphisMechanic!

Curious about your drop test - care to mention how many times you dropped it and from what heights?

On 3/29/2020 at 8:31 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

The sprinco kit includes reduced power trigger and striker block (plunger) springs. Polishing the plunger, trigger bar, and the plunger hole in the slide were the first things he did.

He gave me the gun complaining about a very noticeable rough spot in the trigger. The kind that you only feel with a slow, smooth pull when shooting 25yd groups. It was definitely there. The first thing I did was remove the plunger and reassemble the gun. No change.

He hadn’t polished the area highlighted by the yellow arrow above. The striker or the striker hook in the frame, nor the sear surfaces. I did those while installing the setscrew and it’s as smooth as glass now.

Pull weight did drop perhaps 3-4 ounces, but smoothing thee trigger out? That’s what he wanted me to do.

MM do you have any pictures of final location of setscrew? You lo tote it in there?

18 minutes ago, PokerNGuns said:

MM do you have any pictures of final location of setscrew? You lo tote it in there?

It was coated liberally with red loctite before being installed and immediately adjusted. ;) 

You can see that I initially attempted to drill it higher, but the bit walked because the sear housing slipped in the vise.

The screw’s height isn’t honestly all that important, as long as it’s drilled in line with the center of the lever.

It works great here. Screw is a 6-32 thread.

image.thumb.jpeg.d06f5fa7a5edff739ff388133d372df3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It was coated liberally with red loctite before being installed and immediately adjusted. ;) 

You can see that I initially attempted to drill it higher, but the bit walked because the sear housing slipped in the vise.

The screw’s height isn’t honestly all that important, as long as it’s drilled in line with the center of the lever.

It works great here. Screw is a 6-32 thread.

image.thumb.jpeg.d06f5fa7a5edff739ff388133d372df3.jpeg

Thanks! 

I did another one this weekend. This was my production 5” PPQ M2 with the factory trigger in it.

Set your calipers to .194” and use them to scribe a line down the sear housing, dragging the other jaw along the outside edge. This is the perfect place to drill and tap for a 6-32 x 3/16” setscrew.

8102669E-2C85-454D-9388-F049C760DF1E.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Overwatch Precision trigger upgrade for Walther Q5 SF (Review by Keith White, keithwhite100@gmail.com)

I’ve been sitting here at the house for the past 4 weeks with nothing to do so I decided to spend some money on my gun and purchase the Overwatch Precision Trigger for my Walther Q5 SF. The range is closed and I’ve loaded a crap load of target 9mm rounds and upgraded my press with every bell and whimsical doodad you can think of so why not give this trigger a try.  I’ve been waiting for the Apex trigger upgrade and have given up on that and came across this company just the other day. Seemed like a nice trigger but I could not find anyone who was willing to purchase one and do a review, it is not cheap but more on this later.

Ordered last week and it came in about 5 or 6 days, which was surprising due to the virus crap going on. Nice simple package and quality looked nice.  It’s an all metal trigger and seemed to be very well made. So, I proceeded to install it in my gun. I also got two trigger springs a green and red one. A slightly below factory and one that lowered pull weight to about 3.5 lbs. I did not order this package but got it anyway and due to the fact, I run a different spring they just go into the spring bin for repurposing. 

My Walther has been modified in every way possible and is has a trigger as good and crisp as any 1911 or trigger job around. I run my own springs which produce a 2.5 lb. pull and have modified the shear so creep is almost nothing and 1mm reset. As you can see in the pictures, I modified the Walther trigger to the same specifications as the one sold in Germany and can be adjusted. The only issue with this is the trigger safety did no function, don’t know if the Walther upgrade has trigger safety but the Europeans seem to get away with this but not in the US.

The new OW trigger fit perfectly in my gun, perfectly (not any adjustments required at all). I’ve played with a lot of Walther triggers and seem to always have to tweak them a little to eliminate any possible friction, not required with the OW upgrade. The trigger was also nicely polished up and very smooth unlike other purchased trigger upgrades.

I did notice that the friction dimple pressed into the trigger bar on the Walther trigger had been ground off of the OW trigger, you can see this in the pictures, it was not an issue. Other than the shape of the OW trigger there seemed to be little to no difference between the two. The OW trigger is assembled with a tiny roll pin so it is possible to remove the safety release and access the tiny spring in the trigger its self.

Assembled the gun back and gave it a few pulls, nice. However, I noticed due to the extremely light trigger spring in my gun the spring in the trigger safety was almost to strong and could lock up the pull. I’ve had this issue before on the Walther trigger and with the trigger bar springs shipped with the OW trigger, I don’t think this would be an issue. To fix this issue I dissembled the OW trigger and removed the tiny internal spring, looked for a replacement in my supply but no luck so proceeded to cut about 4 coils of the OW trigger spring and reassembled and placed back in my gun. Yes, it worked great now, no issues at all.

Summary:  I really like it; all the claims are true.  I like the flat trigger and with my modified LOC grip in combination with the OW trigger it now fit my smaller hand perfectly. Anybody would be hard pressed to better this design. The only thing I would change is the internal trigger lock spring could be weaker as not to impede the pull with lower trigger bar pull springs installations.

Was it worth the 200 bucks? For me, sure but I don’t cry and bitch about a few dollars. Could the price be lower, not sure as I think this unit was pre fit into a jig or gun and adjusted before being shipped to me. That takes time and money, I think that is why the price is higher than most other upgrades. It’s also all metal, I love this and the blue safety is an exact match to the Walther color. Nice job guys.

Issued on 4/4/2020

0403201253.pdf 0403201245a 2.pdf 0403201245b.pdf 0403201245c.pdf 0403201247.pdf

Got my OW trigger yesterday, ordered 29 March & arrived 03 April. Took maybe five minutes to install as I had the pistol torn down awaiting the UPS man. Like Keithwhite100 my Q5SF was heavily modified prior and had a pretty good trigger already, breaking at just over 2&1/2 pounds. Using the OW trigger kit and Springco trigger bar spring, the trigger breaks crisply and consistently at 1&15/16 to 2 pounds. Reset is short and sweet, I am well beyond pleased with how mine turned out. Can't give enough credit to Overwatch for such a great product, it was definitely worth the wait!

2 hours ago, titandriver said:

Got my OW trigger yesterday, ordered 29 March & arrived 03 April. Took maybe five minutes to install as I had the pistol torn down awaiting the UPS man. Like Keithwhite100 my Q5SF was heavily modified prior and had a pretty good trigger already, breaking at just over 2&1/2 pounds. Using the OW trigger kit and Springco trigger bar spring, the trigger breaks crisply and consistently at 1&15/16 to 2 pounds. Reset is short and sweet, I am well beyond pleased with how mine turned out. Can't give enough credit to Overwatch for such a great product, it was definitely worth the wait!

Cool, I love a good product, sorry Apex, looks like you dropped the the ball on this opportunity. Walther, well you're just slow on the US market opportunities. I also gave up on the smaller grip  and trigger. But love my gun.

Just got back from the range - 48 degrees but the wind was blowing at 20 mph so only fired 150 rounds. This trigger is pretty amazing, it was way too easy for .17-.18 splits for A's at 11-12 yards. At 7 yards I pulled many .13-.14 splits with A hits. I used both the Z-R Tac guide rod & 13lb Glock spring as well as a 3 ounce heavier tungsten guide rod with a cut down 13lb 1911 spring. I could not honestly tell a difference between the two and will probably stick with the Z-R. 

Now for the only downside - three different times on the draw my finger wasn't positioned correctly on the  trigger safety bar in order to disengage it - found out that will add .5-.6 seconds to your first round hit! Gonna go fix that right now! 

Pix is of my beater with stock trigger but has the same set screw in the front of the trigger as keithwhite100 - limits the forward motion of the trigger while still allowing the  trigger safety bar to engage the rear of the frame - barely! 

IMG_1343.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 4:36 PM, titandriver said:

Now for the only downside - three different times on the draw my finger wasn't positioned correctly on the  trigger safety bar in order to disengage it - found out that will add .5-.6 seconds to your first round hit! Gonna go fix that right now! 

Did you fix the trigger safety bar issue?  What did you do to fix it?

Thanks

Phil 

5 hours ago, philmadxx said:

Did you fix the trigger safety bar issue?  What did you do to fix it?

Thanks

Phil 

I did Phil - I drove out the roll pin that holds the safety bar and spring in the trigger housing. Clipped four coils off that spring & reassembled - our weather has been really crappy so I haven't been able to shoot but 400 or so rounds but it hasn't choked on me once since the modification. Got the idea from Keith White.

Pix is from Keith White

2108838283_0403201245a2.pdf spring.pdf

Edited by titandriver

Awesome, thanks.  I'm a bit behind the curve, my Overwatch trigger just came in today, I'll put that in, test it, then move on the more advanced tweaks if it needs it.  I do seem to have the gritty safety plunger so I might also give that a slight polish while I have things apart.  

Thanks again!

On 3/27/2020 at 10:35 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Also. Most frequent place I see guys leaving grit in the trigger? The metal bushing pinned into the right side of the sear housing rubs on the top of the trigger bar, under spring pressure.

Always grease here.

Polish these spots while you have the trigger bar out.

I did this and polished the other bearing surfaces.  Really makes the trigger very nice.

• 3 weeks later...